what ever happen to tradition and honor

86atlanta, I will join Ginger and ask that you sign your name. 

If you really marched that summer, you will not have a problem identifying yourself to those of us that shared that summer with you. 

If you want truly want to discuss anything, you can do so with any of us here in PM, on the Spirit board (or in PM's there) or via email through this site or the Spirit board as well. 

Creating a s/n and posting things that merely "stir the pot"  at a time that Spirit is enjoying their best summer in a couple of seasons is not productive for anyone. 

The corps enjoyed immense success under Freddy's leadership in the late 70's and early to mid 80's.  As he began to focus less on the corps and more on his family in the later 80's and early 90's (he had to figure out a way to pay for college for his son), he turned over much of the day to day responsibilities for the organization to others.  The corps began to slip some in that transition.  He actually retired from the corps after the '93 season and was not associated with the corps until being asked to return for the 2000 competitive season in a lead instructional role. 

He put together a team of people that would eventually be forced to salvage the corps from an attempt to fold it in June of 2000 by the then administrative team.  Thanks to a monumental effort by Freddy, a large group of alumni, friends of the corps throughout the activity and parents of corps members, the corps survived and toured that summer.  The partnership with JSU began with the 2001 season and he left the organization after that season. 

Bama is correct, were it not for JSU, Spirit would be no more.  Our choices after the 2000 season were to either fold the corps, or return to the competitive field as a new organization under the JSU umbrella.  There was a conscious decision made by both Freddy and others to move forward under the JSU umbrella with the understanding that many things would most likely change as that transition continued.  It was more important to keep the corps alive than it was to regain control of something that had slipped so far from what he had originally built.

Freddy is happy doing what he is doing, the corps is enjoying what they hope will be a return to the top 12 this summer so I"m puzzled what good you think will come of your post. 

Again, I would ask you to identify yourself.  We'll be awaiting your reply.

AA

my only reason for asking or rather bring this topic up was i witnessed several marching members at a recent show tell kids interested in marching that ken bodiford started spirit of jsu and what a great director he was that is why i asked why tradition or rather history may not be being told correctly making me upset

plus being told that freedy martin was told he was not wanted becouse of his temper

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan,

Thanks for your response and disregard my PM, I responded to your PM before I read your response in this thread.

Good to hear many of the members found other corps, and it looks many jumped up to Div 1 corps.

Do you know what happend to CofH Drum Major? He was great, and won an award at Finals in Denver.

Steven is currently the drum major for Teal Sound.  :)

Thanks! Good to hear he is still part of the activity. I'm not sure how old he is, but it would be fun to see him move up to a Div 1 corps before he ages out.

Thanks!  Good to hear he is still part of the activity.  I'm not sure how old he is, but it would be fun to see him move up to a Div 1 corps before he ages out.

Steven is still only 19 I believe. He's got a couple of years left whatever he decides to do. He was only a recently graduated senior when he served as our drum major with CoH in '04. GREAT kid, talked to him via cell phone just the other day and he's doing well.

AA

And still, you don't have the balls to sign your name.

btw, my name is Mike Morris

That's why I have a hard time believing this person really marched.

I've even asked them to identify themselves via PM if they didn't want to do so publicly, but never heard from them there either.

Once again, if you really are concerned about Freddy and/or the corps, drop one of us a note via PM, and we'll be glad to put you in touch with Freddy and Lynda and the Spirit Alumni Board and or corps administration.

I'm sure Freddy would love to hear from more alumni from that season. He still counts several moments from '86 among his favorite drum corps moments. Ginger and I just spent a week or so with he and Lynda at their "Spirit Camp" that someone mentioned earlier and they are both doing great.

Later, AA

Newsflash.............

Royer is no longer with SCV

Jones leaves Troopers

and Jerry is no longer with BD!

Time marches on, and so do most drum corps......

Hey dcimarky:

Newsflash.....

You also forgot about John Robins of Dutch Boy !!!!

You also forgot one more thing....These men have ALL PASSED AWAY too !!!!

Don't you think if these guys were still alive, they'd still be their respective corps ???? :worthy::beer::grrr::beer: B)

Edited by ODBC

Don't you think if these guys were still alive, they'd still be their respective corps ????

No. Mr. Jones had left Troopers management and instruction by '88(?) and should have probably left a year or so earlier. I think there comes a time, though, when someone is too old, too old fashioned, or something. That being said, I have some really awesome, fun memories of practices with Mr. Jones, and feel badly for those who came after he left, and didn't have a chance to get to know The Man.

Hey dcimarky:

Newsflash.....

You also forgot about  John Robins of Dutch Boy !!!!

You also forgot one more thing....These men have ALL PASSED AWAY too !!!!

Don't you think if these guys were still alive, they'd still be their respective corps ????  :worthy:  :beer:  :grrr:  :beer:  B)

except that Royer retired from Vanguard before he passed away......he chose to step down and retire...(not sure about Jerry)..get the facts please