Colts' Postcards

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're still having a few problems with working out all the logistics.

Apparently the metal framework of the postcard thingees are really hard to push and pull... where they intended to have 2 guard members per postcard, they're finding that they need 4-5 to get it going.

And also, the metal that it's constucted out of is really sharp in certain places, and if they grab the frame on the wrong section they cut up their hands.

Postcards' ETA is Kalamazoo now.

Like anything else in this activity, props can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how they're designed into the show.

The Good:

Cadets '96 with the huge walls, created some great moments! Being able to empty the stage and expose the drumline and guard worked very well.

Crown '96 - while they must have been a pain to move everyday, the chess pieces really made that show.

And although I hate building them and carrying them to the field, I do like the screens that some corps use to cover the front sideline (Glassmen 04, Bluecoats 00, Boston 2000, Cadets 2000). It really hides all of the extra equipment and gives a cleaner look.

The Bad:

Cadets '99? the tarp. It never seemed to be worth the effort.

Bluecoats '97 - the giant scaffolding to hide the corps for the opening set and for the occassional guard member to spin on top of. It was not big enough for one thing to be effective in large stadiums and it was barely used. The other scaffolding ramp for the drumsets was okay, but still probably not necessary. And oh the fun it was to set those things up and roll them to the field every single practice and show plus trying to fit an extra 16 planks plus all of the frames on a truck that was already out of space.

Kevin Stahl

Glassmen Visual Staff 2004-2005

Bluecoats Visual Staff 2000-2003

Bluecoats Baritone 1996-1999

Edited by Kstahl

They're still having a few problems with working out all the logistics.

Apparently the metal framework of the postcard thingees are really hard to push and pull... where they intended to have 2 guard members per postcard, they're finding that they need 4-5 to get it going.

And also, the metal that it's constucted out of is really sharp in certain places, and if they grab the frame on the wrong section they cut up their hands.

Postcards' ETA is Kalamazoo now.

I hope they haven't ran in to new troubles b/c the last tests that we ran on them two or three members could move them pretty easily. They are somtimes a little hard to get started depending on how the wheels are oriented in relation to the direction they want to move it, but it usually just takes a little extra push to get them moving. Once they do i have found they roll very well. As for the sharp edges - they were in the process of filing some of the bad ones down, although any of the sharp edges that you could come in contact with would only be during putting them together or taking them apart. Who ever moves them will have very nice handles to use. :)

The Bad:

Cadets '99?  the tarp.  It never seemed to be worth the effort.

I'd add BD's tarp from the Tommy show into that category, for the same reason.

Postcards are still in the works.  Last I heard, the reason they haven't been added was because the supports haven't been fully constructed yet.  I've seen pictures on the Colts Virtual Cooktruck of the supports.  They will be added to the show at SOME point.

Here a picture of the supports from July 4th, just to give an idea of how big these postcards are supposed to be...omitted from Quote

It is just a matter of time until props like this one and the "sundial pointer" being used by Capital Regiment this year are involved in serious injures due to the weight and momentum of this much steel. They can also malfunction and cause severe damage to some of the premier venues with artificial turf fields. In such cases you can be bet that those venues will then be FOREVER closed to ANY Drum Corps event.

Corps and DCI should encourage efforts to create such LARGE props with fabric and other light weight materials in ways that do not create these truly unacceptable hazards to corps members, staff and judges, and threaten the right to use some of the finer venues in the activity.

It is, perhaps, far too subjective an issue to address with just "RULES." So don't stifle the creativity, but - for the good of the activity - please consider these points. They seems to me FAR more fundamental visa-vi VHP (Very Heavy Props) than the "artistic" issues.

If you think the stuff this year is bad, I have 7 words for you:

"A Futuristic Game of Capture The Flag"

It is just a matter of time until props like this one and the "sundial pointer" being used by Capital Regiment this year are involved in serious injures due to the weight and momentum of this much steel.  They can also malfunction and cause severe damage to some of the premier venues with artificial turf fields. In such cases you can be bet that those venues will then be FOREVER closed to ANY Drum Corps event.

Corps and DCI should encourage efforts to create such LARGE props with fabric and other light weight materials in ways that do not create these truly unacceptable hazards to corps members, staff and judges, and threaten the right to use some of the finer venues in the activity. 

Trust me, the Colts would love not to have used VHP this year - the rules for the finals venue made that impossible because NOTHING is allowed to touch the field except pneumatic wheels (so we were told). This made pulling just fabric out not an option. I understand any venues concern with not having their turf damaged, a very good concern to have, but it is also what forced the colts to build such heavy/ seemingly dangerous props. just my .02