11 1/2 Minutes: A Drum Corps Story

11_5_minutes.jpg

This week, DCP is featuring this documentary! You can read a review of the film here, buy the film from the Blue Devils Online Store, or even better, win one of two free DVD copies from DCP!

Here's how to enter the contest:

We are looking for your drum corps story. It can be about what drum corps means to you, how and why you marched or are a fan, or even just a poignant moment that still resonates with you.

Here's the catch - it must be submitted in 150 words or less. That's one to two paragraphs! So it has to be short and powerful.

Entries can be submitted to me in three ways - via e-mail at mike@drumcorpsplanet.net, via PM (use the PM link at the bottom left of this post), or even post it here in this thread for everyone to see!

I will accept submissions until 12:00 am next Friday morning (July 22, 2005) and later that day the best two submissions (as determined by a judging panel) will be posted for everyone to read, and will be featured by DCP News! Oh yes, and the authors will receive a copy of the DVD. :)

Best of luck to everyone with the contest!

Mike

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11_5_minutes.jpg

This week, DCP is featuring this documentary!  You can read a review of the film here, buy the film from the Blue Devils Online Store, or even better, win one of two free DVD copies from DCP!

Here's how to enter the contest:

We are looking for your drum corps story.  It can be about what drum corps means to you, how and why you marched or are a fan, or even just a poignant moment that still resonates with you. 

Here's the catch - it must be submitted in 150 words or less.  That's one to two paragraphs!  So it has to be short and powerful.

Entries can be submitted to me in three ways - via e-mail at mike@drumcorpsplanet.net, via PM (use the PM link at the bottom left of this post), or even post it here in this thread for everyone to see! 

I will accept submissions until 12:00 am next Friday morning (July 22, 2005) and later that day the best two submissions (as determined by a judging panel) will be posted for everyone to read, and will be featured by DCP News!  Oh yes, and the authors will receive a copy of the DVD.  :)

Best of luck to everyone with the contest!

Mike

It happend my age out year, 1993. Our beloved director had passed away, and we were stuck with, 'The Dr.' The Dr. tried to take TRADITION away from The Santa Clara Vanguard! He came in and gave the corps a 'new' song. A song to, dare I say it, REPLACE Send in The Clowns. HIS beloved Vanguard anthem.

During DCI Finals retreat, The Dr. came on the field, ready for the hornline to play his anthem. What he didn't know was that all the sections of the corps had secret rehersals to learn or relearn 'Clowns'. So, he began to conduct his anthem. The second The Dr. realized that the beautiful sound coming from an emotional Santa Clara Vanguard, wasn't his anthem, he was TICKED! He made a face that I will never forget and stormed off the field. So, you see, The SCV was victorious in 1993, afterall.

Edited by SCVguard9293

Mike, I sent my essay in to you on email... let me know if you got it okay.

~>conner

In 1974, the Dutch Boy Cadets flew all night to do an eight day tour of Germany. Our first show was by far the most powerful. We walked out of the tunnel at the Olympic Stadium in Munich Germany and there were 80,000 people sitting there. We did our show and received a standing ovation from everyone in that stadium.

As we were trooping the stands, it started!!

One section of about 12,000 people started chanting CA-NA-DA, CA-NA-DA, by the time we had gone the whole track, 80,000 were chanting. Cold war or not, we were 110 of the proudest Canadians you've ever seen. There were tears in our eyes and everyone's chest in the corps rose another inch in good old CANADIAN PRIDE !!!!

OUR PROUDEST MOMENT !!

Edited by ODBC

WOW!!

Potential here for some pretty emotional stuff! Great idea Mike!

Since my father had been involved in the activity since the 40s,I was pretty much destined to be involved also.

I could cite many individual instances that stand out for me,but I have to say that marching in(and growing up in)drum corps gave me all the skills and attributes that have helped me through life in good times and bad!

The drive to push myself beyond what I thought I was capable of has helped me make my business a success.

The discipline to push on through adversity without quitting has carried me through MANY dark and dangerous times in my life.

The thrills of acomplishment and achievment are still with me today.

Simply put; from my heart:THANK YOU DRUM CORPS!!

Edited by Bob Brady

I don't think mine is as good as the other ones, but I wanted to post it anyways.

(mike, this is the same one I sent you... no changes)

I am nothing more than a drum corps fan right now. Does that make drum corps less impactive on me? No. I get alot of trash in DCP for my age.. Some people think I get in farther than I can climb out. I don't care. I constantly think about not posting stuff on DCP, but I think my opinion should be valued. I haven't even been a fan for a year yet... I try not to tell people that, but sometimes it happens. This is what drum corps has taught me. I haven't even marched yet, but before I became a fan, I was a person who never voiced my opinions. Now I do. I don't care if I win this contest, I just want my voice to be heard. Drum corps has taught me something school cant. How to be a person, not a part of a crowd.

~>conner

I don't think mine is as good as the other ones, but I wanted to post it anyways.

(mike, this is the same one I sent you... no changes)

I am nothing more than a drum corps fan right now. Does that make drum corps less impactive on me? No. I get alot of trash in DCP for my age.. Some people think I get in farther than I can climb out. I don't care. I constantly think about not posting stuff on DCP, but I think my opinion should be valued. I haven't even been a fan for a year yet... I try not to tell people that, but sometimes it happens. This is what drum corps has taught me. I haven't even marched yet, but before I became a fan, I was a person who never voiced my opinions. Now I do. I don't care if I win this contest, I just want my voice to be heard. Drum corps has taught me something school cant. How to be a person, not a part of a crowd.

~>conner

ALLIGHT CONNER! Well said!

Being one of the"OldSchool Olde Phartes" I have to say that I have found you to be a knowledgable,fresh voice among the "youngsters"!

Don't let the critics get to ya!

Keep doing what you are and Good luck on that goal of marching-any corps will be lucky to have you!

Thank you Mr. Brady.

:)

~>conner

Finals. 2004. SCV.

We stood at the gate, the tradition all around us. "Santa Clara! Feathers up!" Shivers. Two files marching down the 50 to the beat of our drum major's clap. I couldn't look up at the crowd, my heart was racing too fast to be nervous. I locked eyes with my friends. This was it, this was the moment. The rush was so intense. The passion, the power, that moment. THAT moment, 9 minutes in. The ground shook, I swear. "VANGUARD!" The combined sound of more than 20,000 voices screaming OUR name. The show came to a close, and our final pose for 2004 was stoic, yet if you listened closely around you, you heard laughter, crying, screaming. Emotion. It was beautiful.