Baritone Audition Music

THSBrass

• 1 month later...
Is the idea to play the hardest thing you can while still playing well?

Nah.

Do something you can perform well, and get a good, solid tone from. Perhaps a bit from an early Rochut Etude, or even a little from something you've taken to a Solo & Ensemble contest. It doesn't have to be hard, just something that shows you are competent with your horn.

I'm sure you've heard it enough already, but I'll repeat it: Attitude is a big factor, even if your playing skills are somewhat limited.

Go in with confidence, but not cockiness, and be ready to learn. Take vets advice at camps....practice what the staff suggests.

Chances are you'll take a spot from someone more "techincally" proficent along the way.

And, if not...remember that if you don't make X-Men, LVK is close by, as are other Div II/III and DCA corps that will also provide an excellent educational and rewarding experience.

Bari-Player Posted Aug 22 2005, 10:37 PM

I would rather hear something easy played extremely well than a hard piece played very poorly. I think that will hold water in almost every case.

I have to agree. With any instructor I've talked to, that was what I was told.

I would rather hear something easy played extremely well than a hard piece played very poorly. I think that will hold water in almost every case.

This is very true. I couldn't think of anything difficult that I could play well enough so I just play one of the slow, lyrical Rochut Melodious Etudes and an articualtion exercise that had some finger work from the Crossmen warmup book. Worked fine for me. :P

Trust me, play something you know you sound good on.... it's that simple, even if it is something you have played a thousand times the staff listening will never know. The idea is for you to sound good, so from Crossmen in specific they will ask you to play the exercises and then they might ask you to play a piece but they are more focused on the exercises. Don't be nervous, you are going to make mistakes and they know you are nervous, so if you crack a note of tank a phrase it's not the end of the world they are looking for solid fundamentals. So just show up really prepared with the exercises before and pick something you are familar with for an audition, that way you also help your confidence along.

The Frog