Clifton

It ended up being a very nice night for a show. When I left my house in Central Jersey it as raining..yet hardly a cloud in the sky up North.

My sister-in-law's son marches trumpet in the Bushwackers, which made attending the show that much more fun.

Raiders.

JCSS show...it's improved quite a bit from Giant's Stadium, plus the venue at Clifton is far better for a small group, sound-wise especiall.

One spot in the opening number I think arrives at it's final set a bit too soon, which causes the impact to be less than it can be. The horn line is in platoons and is curving around with a backfield facing of the horns, but they turn to the front before they all hit the big impact set. I'd do something to keep the horn facing away until the last instant, if possible. The trumpets are still at the back in the big park and bark spot about 2/3 of the way into the show...still lost, sound-wise. There is another spot where the baris (I think...shoulda taken notes)..start this ostinato thing (along with the pit/light battery ...I think), and the corps builds on it. I'd leave the baris out and let the pit carry it (with the battery) to start...it woudl maximise the horn sound.

All in all, a VERY good Raiders corps this year...they are always great to watch.

Surf.

Added a bunch of 'stuff' to the show...it works well for them. Horns have some very nice moments, esp. Guard does an outstanding job as well. I noticed four cymbals (Yes!)...I think there were three at Giant's. Another fun show...a bit ore traditional than the past couple of years...but still great.

Sun

VERY small hornline..why are there sound reflectors on the (I think) five snares? Plus, evey bit of dirt is magnified with them. Interesting show, and the guard is wonderful. I love the heart-shape they form at the beginning...I hope they never hit a muddy field as the guard lays down in a heart shped form. Horns, esp trumpets, lose it intonation-wise about 2/3 of the way through. I'm sure they were tired.

Hurcs

A bt larger horn line...some glarig intonation issues. Music of Elmer Bernstein..some good choices. Mag Seven...a bit different than expected. The intro telegraphed what was coming with a fragment of the tune, then they went on to something else for a bit...came back with the melody, not the "big hit".that was later. Very nice. You could hear the feet quite a bit in their hornline.

Bush

If they just had a few more trumpets to match the wonderful mid/low range brass! The show is, IMO, the equal to the Buccs, but they are just can't sustain the well balanced and good intonation to carry them along...by the end they were hurting a bit in that area. Great job by the percussion and guard. As an impression score...I would have put them a bit closer to the Buccs....and further ahead of the Cabs...but I noticed the field percussion judge had them only .1 ahead of Hawthorne...which explains at least that part.

Buccs

A very DCI-ish show in concept, if not performance level. Some muddiness in visual perfomance as sets did not quite jibe at times, but those are things I'm sure they'll cover as they go along. A bit of over-blowing in some of the high spots, but all-in-all a great show and a great performance. The audiences really ate them up, as they deserved every bit of it!

Cabs

I was at ground level, and missed a lot of their show as I looked for my relative from Bush. What I did hear when I got back to the stadium were major itonation and horn execution issues...and fatigue...but I know they just finished the show...so give them time. It might be a down year placement-wise, but I bet they'll be very presentable at champs.

Sky alumni

What a great sound! Drumline playing soe of Perrilloux's great charts really brought back memories. "Alabama Jubilee" is one of my all-time favorite Skyliner tunes...as is, of course, "Little Ol' New York". The soft intro to "McArthur's Park" brought a hush to the crowd, and the hits later raised a HUGE cheer! Just a great performance.

Cabs alumni

Jimmy on the podium doing his thing brought down the house. They did an old-style drill...and did it was fun to watch. Musically excellent...not "just" for an alumni corps...but just plain excellent. Of course, the rumps brought the crowd to it's feet.

All in all, a great night for drum corps.

Mike

Thanks Mike!!! You coming to Lewisburg??

Edited by mellonick

Thanks Mike!!! You coming to Lewisburg??

Hey Nick! Glad to see you still marching! No..Clifton was it for me, DCA-wise. You guys were great. Best of luck at champs!

We're taking a small contingent of the band to Allentown on the Saturday part of DCI East...about 10 or so have signed up so far.

Have you head from Brian (for those not in the know...my son...who is a good friend of Nick's). He's back from the Persian Gulf and was home a couple of weeks back...he saw Jim a lot.

Now he's back on his ship in San Diego taking ROTC kids out to sea for a week at a time....oh, and bringing them back, too. :P

Mike