Is DCI the cause or solution

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the story in the Modesto Bee, and I still don't believe it.  This is possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.  $5,000 per show in fines?  DCI has never fined a corps $5,000 per show.

:worthy: There are many things a corps can do to avoid being in this situation.

Not all of those things are known to all people at the onset. Amazing as the situation is,I would tend to believe the corps director as he is the only one who was privy to the conversation between himself and the DCI office. Also though it is important to understand that DCI does,I'm certain,do it's best to "soften the blow" should it actually become necessary to enforce their rules.All corps go into their obligations based on information given them and projections of cost and income carefully weighed.Sometimes things happen .It would be nice to run all corps with the Idea that if my projected costs will be $200,000.00 then we will try to raise $250,000.00 in anticipation that "something is bound to happen".And you all understand that hindsight is 20-20.It's easy on Monday morning to look at every single football game played on Sunday and tell the Quarterback where he went wrong.This is usually a very useful tool for growth and better planning in the future .Just so you know FEVER is treating this the same way..lessons learned!

The corps will survive because ,even though they don't look it on the surface it is a drum corps town.Adrum corps town that is just learning nothing really worth while comes easily and, that a little help from everybody is more rewarding than lots of help from one.

Don't be too hard or too critical FEVER is alive and getting better and will survive and thrive because that is what they want to do.

Edited by MARK74

Can anyone involved with DCI comment on this? This is the first I have ever heard about corps getting fined $5,000(sic) for not showing up? Is this a factual statement?

Same here. I never heard of DCI punishing corps before. I just figured the corps lost out on thier performance fee, not to mention making the show sponcers not very happy.

Please read my response on page 1 of this thread, pasted below for your convenience.

I think the fine system was implemented before the 2003 season. At least that was the first I had ever heard of it. I believe, the fine at the time was up to twice your appearance fee per show missed (it could have been changed to a flat fee of up to $5000). The other possibility is that since the shows on the II/III circuit are run as a pool (all money is put in a pot and divided up based on a predetermined formula), the fine is up to $5000.

DCI reserves the right to levy a fine for any reason a show is missed, including bus breakdowns, corps illness, or simply folding up shop. They are designed to protect the show sponsors, not line DCI's pockets or punish the corps. Show sponsors sign contracts and pay thousands of dollars to host shows. DCI's side of the contract is that X, Y, and Z corps will show up and perform.

Could DCI fine Fever $5000 per show missed? Yes. Would they? I don't know. I'm sure the management of Fever has been in contact with DCI to discuss that very thing. Revolution in 2004 and MGC this year were both given a full slate of shows before they went inactive. Were they fined for not appearing at any of those shows? The situations were different since the season hadn't begun, but they were still on the schedule and I'm assuming contracts had been signed with sponsors.

Also, the DCI office doesn't appear to be unreasonable. For example, the Cadets were in contact with Dan A. last night after their accident and excused from tonights' show.

Brad

As far as I know, no corps has ever been fined in this manner, but I've also never heard of a corps in this situation in the middle of the season. As I said above, the only two corps I can think of that were in a similar situation were Revolution 04 and MGC 05. They both were signed up for shows and then went inactive. But, they were pulled from the schedule before the season began and replacement corps were put in at least some of the shows.

From the Fever director's comments, it sounds like they have been in contact with the DCI office and been told the fines are real. My only question about the article is the number of shows they would be fined for missing. According to the schedule, they have 7 shows plus championships. I doubt they would be fined for not attending championships, since II/III corps pay an entry fee to enter the contest. If there is a fine for championships, I can't imagine it being more than one show as technically a corps is only guaranteed one performance during championship week (yes, I know that Fever would likely be in every show).

Finally, I don't know any details about Fever or any other corps referenced here. I'm simply speculating based on my years of experience in the II/III activity.

Brad

And YOUR BACKGROUND AND AREA OF EXPERTISE IN THESE MATTERS IS?

....irrelevant to the conversation.

If you must know, I have followed the activity for quite some time, but I don't know all the inner workings of DCI. So rather than rely on my own intuition, I called DCI and asked Dan Acheson. Hope his expertise will suffice.

If the Modesto Bee reporter had done the same....oh, never mind.

I do feel the need to chime in and support Brad & audiobd. Both have tons of credibility and in this case, the common sense to weed through the hearsay & speculation. I think the closest precedent is from 2004 when Cadets of NYC ended their season in July in a similar fashion. I remember them being assessed a $1000 fine for each show they missed - $8,000 - that they were obligated to (per the participation agreement each corps signs in the late Spring). The Cadets dealt with the issue accordingly in the 04-05 offseason and are back on the field this year.

Why that rule exists and the enforcement of it is a very long story. Just think credibilty with sponsors, corps that did not get shows they wanted and the potential logistical nightmares that occur had we not set up such a policy.

With ECJ moving in tomorrow for the rest of the season, I will leave the details to someone else (Bob J.?).....

Fred Ford

ECJ

....irrelevant to the conversation.

If you must know, I have followed the activity for quite some time, but I don't know all the inner workings of DCI.  So rather than rely on my own intuition, I called DCI and asked Dan Acheson.  Hope his expertise will suffice.

If the Modesto Bee reporter had done the same....oh, never mind.