Amplification Is Good!

I didn't think they were amped--no real signs of microphones and cords and mixers and such...but I saw what looked like a speaker tucked into the frames of the center two marimbas. Dunno if they were using them or not.

FWIW, GLASSMEN's pit is just as loud as the amped pits, and they are very firmly unplugged. It's all in the arranging and in the technique.

Somebody told me in another thread Phantom was using amps. So which is it..please tell me. Are they using amps or aren't they? :worthy:

Oh and the only thing amplification is good for, in my opinion, is rock concerts... :)

Not drum corps.  :worthy:

But here we go again.... :worthy:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrumCorpFan
As I said before; Amplification is a CHOICE NOT A MANDATE!

Really? Then why do ALL the corps feel the must use them. No one in the top 12 chooses not to. I don't know, but maybe no one in the top 17 chooses not to. Why is that?

Oh how I love these amp conversations.

If you want to get technical about everything; a horn is already amped. That is kinda what the bell does. But we are talking about electronic stuff.

Personally I would be happier without amps but I see how having them is good. I like to listen to the pit. It fills out the sound. Remember, if the horns can't play it, give it to the pit. Yeah amps do tend to malfunction but the corps doesn't have any control over that...usually. Like I said, I would rather not have them, but since they are here; use them to their fullest potential. Ok, maybe not singing.

Oh, and if the proper technique is used, in fair weather conditions at a quiet point in the show, yes an unmiked singer could be heard i bet. I would give it a try. I bet I could do it.

Edited by BluebariJames

To amp or not to amp, that is the question. Just like so many other things in our society, it is indeed a choice. Let each group make thier own choice. Let each fan make their own choice.

I am growing tired of the time exhausted griping about amps-- if a child plays an instrument that can be heard better aplified, he and his family and friends deserve it to be heard... not all can be a screeching lead soprano and wake up the dogs across the subdivision.

Regarding the money comments-- any corps can fundraise, any corps can get sponsors-- if they want amps they will budget for them, if they don't they won't. A corps will not be more/less successful based on use of electronics or not. I am quite familiar with all the adjudicator's sheets: front, back, placemats, etc., and no where on there is this a consideration, positive, negative, or neutral.

And as far as a corps folding because they're not using them-- thus amplification being the end of corps as we know it-- VOLUNTEER your time with that corps. Spend a week on the road, help on the food truck, drive a vehicle-- this is what will keep them afloat.

Spend minute for minute as much time working for some kids on tour as you do griping about some corps' choices. It will keep things in check, and give you additional perspective. At the end of any given contest it's not about the electronics-- but about what those students learned that day.

That was the first and last BOA show I will probably watch for some time. It made me sick, not unlike a common cold or herpes.

Serious? :worthy: I very much enjoyed it. The talent from those kids are incredible. Different strokes, I guess. But I believe the bassoon section was so fresh and original, and not to mention, amazing (the whole show was very creative, actually). There were seven up there at the same time playing that, people!

Ronald Reagan didn't even keep you interested? I don't know anyone who doesn't cry at the end of that show.

Whoever wants to hear these amazing programs can get them from the links below:

Westfeld HS 2003

Ronald Reagan HS 2003

DCI is not BOA and vice versa. Please appreciate both, folks.

Of course you're right Steve.  That's why Bluecoats and Phantom placed so poorly last year, is because they were without amplification.  And the only reason they were beaten by Vanguard, Cadets, Devs and Cavs is because those four corps did have amps.  Yeah, that's it...

:worthy:

not everyone jumped on the pit or Bb bandwagon right away either.

but then again, even those that vote no eventually cave in. why?

like Fielder said....if you don't want to compete with one hand tied behind your back, well......

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

Speaking of drumspeak, wouldn't it be at possible to do it without amps? I mean, how hard could it be to resonate your voice among others to the stands in (somewhat) silence with chanting and such?

why sing drum parts? just play the #### things

I didn't think they were amped--no real signs of microphones and cords and mixers and such...but I saw what looked like a speaker tucked into the frames of the center two marimbas.  Dunno if they were using them or not.

FWIW, GLASSMEN's pit is just as loud as the amped pits, and they are very firmly unplugged.  It's all in the arranging and in the technique.

imagine that. I have said the same thing about the Cavies from 00-03.

and yet it is ignored every ###### time.