About Crossmen finding sponsor in Texas.

....So maybe we should have been thinking smaller and gone this route by asking individuals and companies to sponsor the corps for a day or even just a meal.

A lot of times smaller sponsorships like this go unannounced. Maybe they should be made more public within drum corps circles so that others might follow.

Great points Steve. I think you do need to pursue both. Imagine if a corps could find a local sponsor for half of tour. That would add up to some of the bigger dollars we often seek and fail to get. But it doesn't hurt to look for big dollars too.

When my son was trying to raise tour fees, he wrote a letter asking essentially for $20 to cover a day of tour. For three years with LVK he raised more than he needed with that approach because he got reponses from 30+ people, many of whom did several days.

I also agree that making these types of donations public is a good idea. I hope other corps give this idea a try.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When my son was trying to raise tour fees, he wrote a letter asking essentially for $20 to cover a day of tour. For three years with LVK he raised more than he needed with that approach because he got reponses from 30+ people, many of whom did several days.

Oh yeah...when I was Personnel Manager for Spirit back in the 80s, we had several members cover their fees and then some by asking for smaller donations instead of hitting folks up for big money. That proves my point...thinking smaller (but in greater quantity!) is definitely a great plan of action!

It's brilliant marketing and should be applauded rather than scorned. Study it, learn from it, and apply it if you wish to help out the Texas corps when they leave the state as Crossmen has done to come to Texas.

I agree. I think a letter of congratulations to YEA/Crossmen is in order to applaud the corps for pursuing every opportunity to survive in a highly competitive environment. Let other corps benchmark to Crossmen's success, but don't condemn the corps for employing creative techniques to generate revenue.

Edited by jcn8

There are generous people out there. You just have to ask.

Yup! And many smaller mid to mid siaze companies are looking for tax deductions in the wake of some economic trends of the past few years.

If you look at the DCI show that happens each year in Massillon, OH during Pro Football HOF week, they've had businesses sponsor corps competing in the show for many years now.

That being said..... and given the RISING (and somewhat OUTRAGEOUS) cost of fuel, has anyone thought about approaching any of the big oil companies for a full or partial sponsorship during the summer months? These guys are always looking for write-offs BIG TIME!! Imagine the potential for word-of-mouth advertising if BP, Mobil, or Chevron sponsored three or four Division I corps, and had their logo on the rear door of the equipment trailer...... Plus think of the cost savings to the corps regarding fuel purchases!!!

Kudos to Chris Maher! Anytime someone can get sponsorships is a positive. Even though there may be other texas corps that can use the money, it is up to those organizations to pound the pavement and do whatever they can to maximize corporate relations and secure financial security.

I say congratulations for having the guts to go and do this. It is hard to explain to a company that doesn't know anything about drum corps and ask for money.

I did it a couple of years ago when a certain corps food truck was broken down and got $750 donated for a corps. I felt bad for the corps having been through that experience myself. It might not seem like a lot of money but I went to my boss at the time and asked. He told me about this program they have set aside for non profit organizations. If you look back I know I said something about it last year.

They also had helped out Spirit's food drive a couple of years ago too.

Everyone who is in a business or knows someone in a business can go and ask if they have some kind of program to donate for non profit organizations.

I personally would like to be on some board in the future to help corps get local sponorships.

I have legal knowledge and am going for my paralegal degree and have accounting skills.

Just for everyone's information: Revolution was very fortunate this year to receive donations of food and food serving products from several local businesses. As a matter of fact, we received so much that we couldn't fit it all in the "food section" of the trailer :P . We had to locate both the refrigerator and the freezer we had donated, as well as boxes of plates, bowls, etc., in the area usually reserved for pit equipment. BUT, we are managing.

Wow, the Crossmen get it from both sides now (excuse the pun). They get ripped on for complaining about funding, then they get ripped on for doing something about it.

Kudos to Chris, not only for his efforts on behalf of the Crossmen, but his willingness to share his idea with others. Gestures like that are what move the whole activity forward.

Now lets not be overly dramatic here... of the 18 previous posts in this thread only ONE has complained and that was the topic starter. Most of us love the idea.

Good job Mr. Maher.

• 1 year later...