Hurricanes Honor Guard

I just want to say how very impressed I was by the honor guard of the Connecticut Hurricanes.

Last Tuesday night, I went to the viewing for Jim Dugan Sr. Standing "on guard" at the side of the casket were members of the Hurricanes honor guard. They were dressed in full uniform and stood at attention the entire time people passed the casket to pay respects. It was a most impressive display of respect.

I asked the corps director if this was a common drum corps tradition. He said he didn't know, but that it was certainly a Hurricane's tradition. They offer it for all alumni of the corps.

Rich Tardie and the members of his "A" section take their stuff VERY seriously- as seriously as the competiting corps if not more. I know they've won the high honor guard award many times, but Tuesday night they earned my respect in ways they'll never know.

Thank you for impressing the heck out of me and for the fitting tribute shown to Mr. Dugan.

Joe Itkor

Richie's crew is absolutely the BEST Honor Guard in this business. They take it so seriously and they have the hardware from last year to prove it. They desrve ALL of the attantion they get. They have earned my respect, and they know that!!!!

Donny Allen

Hurcs brass consultant last year.

Thank you for your kind words.

Ct Alumni needs to be acknowledged, also, as they were at our side.

I do this as a way to repay and give thanks to the Drum Corps Family who did the same for my Father, who passed away in 1988. It was the first time that I witnessed a Drum Corps Honor Guard, and it touched my heart.

Rich Tardy has taken his lumps over the years, in my day there was not a lot of respect given to the honor guard, they were expected to go stand in the corner after the color presentation and look good. So it does this old baritone's heart good to see the accolades given when due especially Rich who has given so much over the years. It especially comforting to know that as a former Hurricane, you are still considered a part of the family.

:worthy: Obviously it takes losing a lengendary drum corps member to get an honor guard together i have not witnessed a more slomn occasion God Bless all those who came out and took the time to pay tribute to another connecticut hurricane and /Alumni membericane,Jul 26 2005, 01:42 PM]

Rich Tardy has taken his lumps over the years, in my day there was not a lot of respect given to the honor guard, they were expected to go stand in the corner after the color presentation and look good. So it does this old baritone's heart good to see the accolades given when due especially Rich who has given so much over the years. It especially comforting to know that as a former Hurricane, you are still considered a part of the family.

I think this is really great!