Is it just me....or is it HOT out there? With temperatures reaching near 100 everywhere across the country, what extra precautions are corps taking to ensure the safety of everyone...staff, marchers, etc.

I can recall actually getting a break from the heat one time in 2 summers...

in Lincoln, Nebraska. They let us go inside for about 20 minutes in the middle of the day. It was miserable. We were also on artificial turf. *ugh*

Lunch is usually around the hottest point of the day, so that you can at least be in the shade.

Always wear a hat, as few clothes as possible. Lots of water breaks. We actually got lots of gatorade breaks those 3 days, and keep pushing through.

that's pretty much all you need.

Oh and the best advice I can give you is "wear sunscreen" ! :P

Edited by Lancerlady

arizona all days...oh fun!

LOTS of water breaks, at least one "shade/cool down break" for 10-15 minutes in the morning block (maybe while staff is working out the plan for the rest of the day based on first half of am block), try to do afternoon music in the shade if you can find it, wear sunscreen!!!!!

bringing extra water to douse yourself with is always nice, but keep in mind that it will wash some of the sunscreen away (sweat and water proof really means sweat and water resistant)

we found it nice to have a separate cooler of ice from your water jug, and toss a handful in the water jug when you get a chance so the water doesn't get so warm sitting out all day. and we also tried to put our jugs under something (podium, in the shade of the pit, etc) so they didn't bake and turn warm. careful with water that is too cold though, takes more energy to make it a digestable temperature and can cause stomach cramps.

I can recall actually getting a break from the heat one time in 2 summers...

in Lincoln, Nebraska.  They let us go inside for about 20 minutes in the middle of the day.  It was miserable.  We were also on artificial turf.  *ugh*

Lunch is usually around the hottest point of the day, so that you can at least be in the shade.

Always wear a hat, as few clothes as possible.  Lots of water breaks.  We actually got lots of gatorade breaks those 3 days, and keep pushing through.

that's pretty much all you need.

Wasn't that the day they served us s'mores as a snack? I didn't ask, but I have a sneaking suspicion they just put them on trays and let the sun do the work.

On the hot days, drink even more water than normal, use some sunscreen (even if you're a half-breed brown person like me), and especially if you're on turf and/or in the hornline...use DCT on your lips. If you don't, you might as well have the guy next to you punch you in the face, because you won't be able to play if your lips crack wide open.

That stuff will cover the physical damage heat can do...as for the mental part, just pray there is no visible thermometer around. There have been days when I haven't noticed the heat, but that changes the minute someone says "Hey, it's 100 degrees out here!"