Will the Cavaliers finish undefeated?

Will the Cavaliers finish undefeated?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Cavaliers finish undefeated?

• Yes
    • No, the Cadets will beat them
    • No, the Blue Devils will beat them
    • No, the Scouts will beat them
    • No, Southwind will beat them :)

The entire band uniform had stuff on the back, including faces on the back of their hats (like the Cadets guard).  So whenever the band turned around it looked like they were marching away from you (sound like something currently?).  I don't remember what they had on the field, but I will ask around, it might of been a door or even windows.

There was a door in the Mona Shores show. You can also view it yourself in the pictures section of the Mona Shores website. They are starting to become a decent BOA band if you ask me. Doesn't Marc Sylvester write the drill for this band? I know he judges in Michigan a lot.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Well TX I guess you got some proof there. Yeah I know it not exactly the same.. But hey its close.  Guess you could reverse it .. If Cadets had done this show last year and then Mona had done theirs  people would have said Hey look at that band copying cadets!!

Hey as long as they are good shows Say la vee  (yeah i know thats not how you spell it. but you get the point. )

To G, Squee, and others. . .still not proving anything.

The show for the performers being the brass, guard, etc is the marching, the playing, and the spinning. The ideas like the mirrored unis, door, and etc don't mean much to me. Copying the show would mean Mona Shores performed the same show meaning they played all the same notes, they spun the same as The Cadets guard is this summer, etc. That is the show, and we all know there is no high school who played, spun, etc what The Cadets are doing this summer. It is beyond ridiculous to think so. G, and others just keep bringing this up OVER and OVER to try and detract that The Cadets are kicking some serious butt this summer.

Back to the original point, The Cavies. . .I really am not being sarcastic. How is this show so original and creative? Its a nice show, but lacking creativity if you ask me.

nice mini rant, I understand your defense mechanisms, however, I do not need to prove anything, its fact. Cadets (and Blue Devils) are RE-HASHING shows previously done by high school bands...you know, High school bands ?? those that usd to adore and idolize drum corps, now since they are lacking originality, the Cadets (and the Blue Devils) are refering to scholastic programs to entertain the drum corps crowds and push the limits of todays marching members.

I have no clue who the heck Mona shores is, and I could give diddly squat...band, band shows and band-aura is not my cup of tea, nor my desire to follow it(Though I have nothing against those that enjoy it, watch it, are fans of it and do adore it...I respect ALL)...I chose to follow the "vanguard" (pun intended) of the marching music family...sadly, its imploding in on itself and trying more and more each year to resemble those same high school bands Im not interested in......

So no, I will not move on, however, that can change as long as these drum corps continue to "move on" and steal shows previously done by amateurs.

~G~

Amazing to me that someone as intelligent as yourself still thinks they stole a show from a high school. They took the idea, which is very different from stealing an entire show. Sylvester himself came on here and explained it to you and others. I guess you missed that.

Back to the original point, The Cavies. . .I really am not being sarcastic.  How is this show so original and creative?  Its a nice show, but lacking creativity if you ask me.

It's "original" and "creative" because their staff came up with it on their own, without the aid of having seen a previous winterguard or marching band do something similar. They didn't steal, borrow or adapt these ideas.

It may not be as "cutting edge" as you, personally, would like, but to say that it's neither "original" nor "creative" is as inaccurate as me saying Cadets stole their show from Mona Shores.

One final comment, I remember talking to Jeff about this early in the off-season. He was telling me how they really wanted to do a show with an "old style" formula.. that being fanfare, song, song, ballad, big closer.. kinda like what we saw on the field in the 80s and 70s.. And that's exactly what they did.. so for all those people who say that this new style drum corps has either forgotten its roots.. or that a show written with familiar music .. with entertaining the fans in mind (whether it entertains YOU individually is something they can't control.. but the idea to do it that way was there).. has no chance to ever "win DCI" -- well... we'll just have to see about that.. but for now, it appears to be working.

I guess if you execute well, you're still going to be rewarded.

Stef

Amazing to me that someone as intelligent as yourself still thinks they stole a show from a high school.  They took the idea, which is very different from stealing an entire show.  Sylvester himself came on here and explained it to you and others.  I guess you missed that.

And, to be fair, its equally puzzling to see Cadets defenders positing that their 2005 show is only marginally related to that high school show when most of the principle elements of the theme of the show (the door, the two-sided uniforms, the use of a girl who seems 'lost') were originally put together by and for a high school band. Since the Cadets KNEW about the show from their shared relationship with one of the principles in the original concept, it was clearly modeled after the earlier piece. It's one thing to take one piece of a puzzle and use it (that is inherently the nature of art - borrowing and improving on elements of earlier works). It's another to a take a number of elements along with the central theme. One is more individually creative than the other.

In any case, they have yet to beat the Cavaliers this year, and there's no strong evidence that it's simply a matter of time. If it happens, good for Cadets. And if it doesn't, no one wil be waiting for Cadets boosters to admit that maybe they got beat because the Cavaliers came out of the gate better prepared and with a staff who knows how to design and teach to win. Some east coast fans have never gotten over those 'hicks' from the midwest stealing their activity... :P

Edited by mobrien

but really... WHO CARES?!?!?! If it's in a totally different competitive venue/activity... and it works and is a good idea, go for it.

Heck, there are a lot of corps that copy things from each other...and a TON of high schools that use corps ideas/shows/music/drill, etc...

at the end of the day, isn't it really all about the 4 E's: education, experience, entertainment, and excitement... not who copied who and how many tenths they were off from the group in front/behind them.

Edited by DCIFanOfAllDivisions

So no, I will not move on, however, that can change as long as these drum corps continue to "move on" and steal shows previously done by amateurs.

Amateurs? That Mona Shores HS show (according to the website) was designed by Marc Sylvester, who also designed the Cadets show. And last time I checked he wasn't exactly an amateur.

So is it really "ripping off" when Marc just thought he had a good idea, and brought it over to another group but expanding on it even more? That's like saying the New York Philharmonic is ripping off the Chicago symphony because NYP is playing a John Adams piece after the Chicago group performed it.

And why does it bother you that a HS has previously performed this, you said yourself that you don't follow that activity, so you wouldn't have even known about this if it weren't posted on DCP. What about Madison this year? I'm sure you can find countless High School bands who have performed Carmen before. I know that Madison isn't doing it the same way that they did, so no big deal, same with Cadets, they aren't doing it the same way, so no big deal.

It's "original" and "creative" because their staff came up with it on their own, without the aid of having seen a previous winterguard or marching band do something similar.  They didn't steal, borrow or adapt these ideas.

It may not be as "cutting edge" as you, personally, would like, but to say that it's neither "original" nor "creative" is as inaccurate as me saying Cadets stole their show from Mona Shores.

One final comment, I remember talking to Jeff about this early in the off-season.  He was telling me how they really wanted to do a show with an "old style" formula.. that being fanfare, song, song, ballad, big closer.. kinda like what we saw on the field in the 80s and 70s..  And that's exactly what they did.. so for all those people who say that this new style drum corps has either forgotten its roots.. or that a show written with familiar music .. with entertaining the fans in mind (whether it entertains YOU individually is something they can't control.. but the idea to do it that way was there).. has no chance to ever "win DCI" -- well... we'll just have to see about that..  but for now, it appears to be working.

I guess if you execute well, you're still going to be rewarded.

Stef

Good points, Stef. I guess I missed on my only viewing the creativeness of it. The jazz/blues portion especially was lost on me mainly because we have seen many other corps do that kind of thing just as well in previous years.

I was entertained by The Cavies. I thought they fully earned their win in San Antonio. I just see the potential this year moreso than others for them to be caught.

No biggie though. You are right, execution produces points and the Cavies execute.