2005 DCA SOUTH REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

And by the way, several news papers and news stations  were contacted.  Plus, myself and several other folks walked around in the blistering heat putting show flyers on cars in St. Cloud and Orlando.  We are open and receptive to new ideas and methods of promotion.

Thanks.

1.  CorpsVets: 83

2.  Heat Wave: 70.?

3.  Alliance: 70.? (0.6)

4.  Gulf Coast: ?

5.  Shenandoah: 54.?

I read an article about it in some daily St. Cloud newspaper, (small) that was at the Burger King I stopped at..that was the only paper I saw it in. I know it was hot, I felt for y'all practicing. :)

Why do they have these shows at High Schools where you can't really see the drill? Just curious. :worthy:

I would try to get a story in the local news since it's on a weekend and not much news going on, I'm sure they'd be receptive (in the future). Just call the station and ask to speak to a specific reporter. I'd also try to promote on every band and drum corps website. I even came here and started a thread about it and no one responded, asking was it true about it being in St. Cloud.

Buy a flyer at the top of this website like some of the other corps do, so people will see it...do it at other websites besides their corps..

Just suggestions...Easier then walking around in the heat posting flyers on cars that most people don't pay attention too. I usually throw flyers off my car before I even get in it.

Just so you won't think I'm being a smarty pants, I did work in promotions in the music business in the 80's and 90's and I was a light tech..so I thrive on promtion, getting the word out. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, not very good....but then it was storming right up to the show so that could've ran people off... :)  But I enjoyed it. I stayed through the rain...it was worth it.

Attendence was about the same as most of the DCA South shows have been. Not sure of the count at this time, but in our opinion, considering weather, atendence was very good.

I guess it depends on how you're are looking at it on how the attendance was, I was in the stands, I don't know what to compare it too cause I didn't go last year. But that was a typical crowd for a DCA South show?

The stands weren't full. So just curious what your definition of "good" is? Most people like myself know the typical weather so I waited for the storm to pass. Typical drum corps show...it always rains.

But don't you want to get more people to go?

Edited by Lancerlady

In case you didn't see them in the other thread...

SCORES:

CorpsVets - 83.0

Heat Wave - 70.250

Alliance - 70.013 (.6)

Gulf Coast Sound - 61.038

Shehandoah Sound - 54.463

I read an article about it in some daily St. Cloud newspaper, (small) that was at the Burger King I stopped at..that was the only paper I saw it in.  I know it was hot, I felt for y'all practicing.  :)

We did numerous time contact the Orlando rag, and because it didn't involve shooting, murder drugs or youth getting in trouble, they declined any help on promoting the show, in an article, unless we bought a very expensive ad. Having worked with DCI promoting a show here, thats how DCI got the 1 article in the paper a year...They did run show promotion on ALL the Osceola County schools televisions, and the local cable networks

Why do they have these shows at High Schools where you can't really see the drill? Just curious.  :worthy:

The judges and DCA officials were very staisfied with the facility as were most of the spectators that talked to me. We could have had it at a much larger HS stadium in the area, if we were willing to pay about $500.00 per hour plus lights! The St Cloud Chamber of Commerce and the St Cloud HS admin were the ones that invited us..with open arms, to use the facility..for free....

I would try to get a story in the local news since it's on a weekend and not much news going on, I'm sure they'd be receptive (in the future). Just call the station and ask to speak to a specific reporter. I'd also try to promote on every band and drum corps website. I even came here and started a thread about it and no one responded, asking was it true about it being in St. Cloud.

This thread has been running for awhile now (july 27) as was another thread about the DCAS and people have responded to those. Sorry if no one answered yours.  I didn't see yours till today

Buy a flyer at the top of this website like some of the other corps do, so people will see it...do it at other websites besides their corps..

that suggestion was made and will be looked at by the commitee next year

Just suggestions...Easier then walking around in the heat posting flyers on cars that most people don't pay attention too. I usually throw flyers off my car before I even get in it.

Thanks

Just so you won't think I'm being a smarty pants, I did work in promotions in the music business in the 80's and 90's and I was a light tech..so I thrive on promtion, getting the word out. :)

This is only the second show this corps has run, and we are still "wet behind the ears" at doing this. Unlike last year, when we ran the show 1 week after hurricane charley and moved the facility twice because of damages, we are in the beginning stages of trying to make All Age Corps a viable product in this area. DCI and BOA,...they all know very well...DCA...they think we are all old drunks...and this is something we are trying to change...its slow, but working.

Thanks for some of your suggestions, and maybe next year the Orlando committee should contact you to help promote....

We are all learning and when you only have a few volunteers...you sometimes miss the obvious.

Edited by HeatWaveDir

Thanks for some of your suggestions, and maybe next year the Orlando committee should contact you to help promote.... 

We are all learning and when you only have a few volunteers...you sometimes miss the obvious.

Vic,,Great job hosting the DCAS championships.I can only hope that Music City Legend will be there next year.

Since the subject has come up about next year,,,has there been given any thought to a location other than Orlando?

Looking at the corps involved in DCAS

CorpsVets ,Heat Wave - Alliance - Gulf Coast Sound,

Shehandoah Sound,Music City Legend,Jackson Generals(hope I didnt leave anyone out)

It would seem that Orlando may not be the best choice geographically.

Is there a committee that decides this? If so who has a casting vote??

If Orlando is carved in stone then I am willing to put my full weight behind it but if there are more viable locations to consider,,I am willing to keep a open mind.

From a performer's perspective:

Vic is right. The crowd was comparable to the Rockmart show in size, maybe a little larger. Frankly, considering that deluge that came through, I wasn't expecting that many people to have ventured out, but it was sure nice to see a good turnout despite the elements.

I think the original idea behind DCAS was the championship was to rotate among the member corps home show, but I'll let someone with some authority answer that one.

That was one freakin hot day! we were begging for that typical 3pm rainstorm to come a little earlier, but unfortunately it decided to be late. I don't think I have ever felt that kind of heat anywhere, and having been to Orlando on many occasions, know I haven't seen it there either. Almost unbearable to even breathe, and you couldn't drink enough water to keep up. BTW - note to the Orlando water authority. I prefer to not have to chew my water, thank you.

In a way the rain did us a favor, as we had time to recover from the heat of the day. Without that delay, I would suspect we would have had a lot of folks go down during their performances.

And the best part of the evening was the crowd's reception. I believe every performing group got a very warm reception, and their efforts were recognized and rewarded by the crowd reaction. I venture to guess that there was a larger than normal percentage of patrons who may not have been well versed in drum and bugle corps, but I didn't see anyone not digging the performances and really enjoying the evening.

I'll let someone else to the play by play review, but Corpsvets loved playing for the Orlando crowd. We got an awesome response during the competition, and got absolutely insane with the folks who decided to stay for the victory standstill. I would have played the show a third time if it weren't for the late hour and a party to go to.

Heatwave - thanks so much for your hospitality, for putting on a great show, and for playing for us at retreat. I can now put on my drum corps resume that I did the 'Time Warp' at a show retreat!

Party at Beef O'Brady's after the show - of course the 'Vets were the last to leave the stadium (why can't we ever keep track of the bus drivers?), but made it in plenty of time to partake in wings and refreshments before heading home.

And Vic is still an animal. :P

Party at Beef o'Bradys afterwards? Now I'm mad I left before the victory concert. That's where I go to watch my NFL Football games (Titans).

Say, I say Tennessee would be cool place to have a DCA S Championship show.

Thanks Vic for answering my post. I loved y'alls show last night.."Let's do the time warp again"...I had to explain to the man next to me...:) Rocky Horror Picture Show. Heat Wave Drum line was SMOKING last night! :worthy:

I'll be glad to volunteer to help out next year any way you need me...:)

Let me preface my remarks by stating that I do not speak for the staff at MCL.These are my own thoughts/observations and suggestions.

I think the original idea behind DCAS was the championship was to rotate among the member corps home show, but I'll let someone with some authority answer that one.

That sounds like a really cool idea.

If that is true,,I would love to see Winston Salem be the next host.IT seems that the city is ripe for a regular circuit of drum corps show to come busting through thier town.

Heaven forbid DCA does not have championships in 2006 but if they choose not too.Having a DCAS south show there will really generate a lot more attention to WS and keep it in the minds of DCA for 2007.

The good folks at Corpsvets did a excellent job of hosting the Rockmart show.That is another good location to look at.Atlanta is also a good central meeting spot for most of the corps involved in DCAS.

Say, I say Tennessee would be cool place to have a DCA S Championship show.

I like the sound of that but Nashville is a very political town.Titans stadium would be impossible to get.Vanderbilt would be a great place but very expensive.That leaves us begging for scraps at high school stadiums.It certainly will be a challenge to find the right place but MCL has some real smart people on staff.I am sure they are up to the task of finding a suitable location in the event the finals ever finds its way to Nashville

Edited by camel lips