Kiss my support goodbye II

He's expressing an opinion. Is that OK with you, or are you the internet police?

There are those who would say that neither have you. Bb brass, amplification, dancing, etc., have been part of the marching band scene for decades, as drum corps blew them away. Now the powers-that-be want to make it more like the bands. So your point may be moot.

Been there, done that, got a few T-shirts. Do you think it was any diferent 30 years ago? If you do, you are sadly mistaken, IMO.

It depends on what corps and what years you're talking about, and how it's percieved by the listener. Blue Devils' show in 2003 sounded like "Wayne Downey's Best Horn Riffs" to me. Where was the melodic line? Buried in a lot of gimmicks, IMO. Big brass blasts amid little drum breaks with 16th-note rolls isn't musicianship.

Yup, push enough people out the door and ticket/souvenir sales will be through the roof! Good thing you're not in charge of finances.

Ah, the internet policeman has resurfaced.

I know what you mean. The lack of English skills makes my head hurt, too.

Garry

Thanks you Garry :blink:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's expressing an opinion. Is that OK with you, or are you the internet police?

There are those who would say that neither have you. Bb brass, amplification, dancing, etc., have been part of the marching band scene for decades, as drum corps blew them away. Now the powers-that-be want to make it more like the bands. So your point may be moot.

Yeah ummm, I marched with G bugles in a non-amped corps in 2001. I accept your apology in advance.

Been there, done that, got a few T-shirts. Do you think it was any diferent 30 years ago? If you do, you are sadly mistaken, IMO.

Shows and basics sessions are way more physically demanding now than they were 30 years ago. That's not a diss on old drum corps, it is simply a fact. And don't tell me it's not true, I'm marching with people of that generation now, I've talked to them. And I've even seen the legacy marchers on DCP criticize corps for writing drill that injures the kids.

Honestly, this is not an insult. Heck, the drill is more demanding now than it was three years ago when I marched!

<snip>

<snip>

Garry

I was there 30 years ago. It was different - not better - not worse - different.

Perhaps there is more than one sadly mistaken person here? I think maybe so. :blink:

The Kingsmen forum has been unable to locate the initial post quoted on this thread, and the discussion (and people linking back to the original site looking for it) is affecting their site stability - something that we *don't* want to do. :(

This topic is going to be closed, though I'll open a separate one for discussing the overriding issue.

Mike