Phantom Regiment's 50th anniversary...

So, as most of us know, Phantom Regiment will be celebrating their 50th anniversary next season. It's going to be a special year for every member and alumnus of the corps, and I was wondering what you, the public at large, would like to see/hear Regiment do?

I know that J.D. Shaw, Dan Farrell and company are more than adept at picking their own show, and will pick a great show...this is all just for fun. Here are my picks:

Forbidden Love: Romeo and Juliet

The music of Sergei Prokofiev's ballet, with a portion of Tchaikovsky's 1869 version of the overture (the introduction), and a smidge of Berlioz's music as well. "The Montagues and the Capulets" music would be fantastic on the field.

The Miraculous Mandarin

by Bela Bartok.

Yeah, it would be a dang difficult show, but if anyone can arrange it it's J.D. And if you have never heard this, go out and get it!

Freedom

"Sinfonietta" by Leos Janacek and either Music for Prague excerpts or "Musica Boema" by Zdenek Lukas. Movement I, II, and III of Sinfonietta would be gold on the field.

Spartacus!

Why not? :) Especially, the music from the last few minutes of Act I, Scene I. It's absolutely gorgeous and haunting.

Phantom AT the Opera

La Donna Mobile

E Lucevan le Stelle

Anvil Chorus

So many others to choose from...maybe even revisit Bachannale.

Symphony No. 2

Eduard Tubin

Give it a listen if you don't know it....pretty dang cool stuff.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Organ Symphonies

Symhponie Concertante: Toccata (Moto Perpetuo) by Joseph Jongen

Widor Tocatta #5 ( partial percussion feature)

Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 "Organ" (parts of the 1990 show :) )

Tell me this wouldn't blow the stadium, the fans and everyone else down. The Jongen especially begs to be done by Phantom! ^0^

Fate

Church Windows by Ottorino Resphighi

Death and Transfiguration by Richard Strauss

Death and Transfiguration is a pretty slow tune, so I don't know if it'd work, but I really like the melody.

Temperaments: The Music of Carl Nielsen

A Fantasy Journey to the Faroes

Symphony No. 2 - The Four Temperaments

I'd like to see them open with the first part of A Fantasy Journey a la 1996. Dark and brooding.

Night Ride: The Music of Jean Sibelius

Night Ride and Sunrise

Historic Scenes

Symphony No. 2

maybe even some Finlandia

I love the title Night Ride and Sunrise, and it's a pretty cool ditty. I can only imagine what Adam Sage could do with that theme. Would be great if they were still in black.

Bruckerific

I'm taking a cue from several DCP fans and opening my ears to Bruckner. Great stuff. Don't know enough yet to pick out something, but his symphonies are great.

Spartacus and the Winter Palace with the Nessun Dorma intro

and just had to go back and listen to 91..... they have to end it with bacchanale

91 show still gives me goosebumps beginning to end.....should of been ahead of cavies and if not for the Roman "star" they should of won it all but star was just too good that year

Edited by blueorginal

Fire Of Eternal Glory

Bacchanale

And every visual trick Phantom has used over the 50 years all jam packed into one show B)

Hmm....let's see....

Rockfod File.

Icebergs.

Double Box Cross-Through.

Triple Box-Cross Through.

Rotating gates within a morphing parallelogram.

The "W pull."

The kneel-down, kick-out wedge.

The crab step (with 180-degree turn and hop)

The flying wedge into a wedge from Bachannale, 1990 and 1991.

I don't remember any more. Of all the above, the only ones I never got to do was the Rockford File and the "hop" in the crab step (though I DID get to be in the first crab step...woot). :)

Edited by Tsar Nikk