phantom regiment's guard

I just wanted to comment on Phantom Regiment's guard this year. I saw them last weekend in Allentown and was incredibly impressed with them. Ideally, I would love to see them will best guard. I doubt they will though, Cadets guard is also amazing and what they move so fast and Cavies are incredibly clean.

But in my book Phantom has the best guard this year.

First, there uniforms are gorgeous and they look amazing, from 1920 Flappers, to the little French numbers they weare they look like a million bucks.

The guy in the guard is incredible. I don't find him distracting and he can dance and spin his butt off.

They way they are integrated into the whole program this year is really quite beautiful. The spin weapons great, they use props (changing screens, umbrellas) that are most appropriate and effective and their flags are gorgous.

They may not have the demand or execution of Cavies and Cadets but to me it doesn't matter.

I also like the fact that they are one of the only corps who have maintained an all female guard (with the exception of the male guest performer this year). I have no problem with coed guards but it just refreshing to see one unit in the top 12 that are all female.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you although i have yet to see their full show I have see clips of it and I am also entralled with the guard, being a former member of a high school colorguard its an honor to see them spin so well. cant weait to see them at quarter finals

I actually think they deserve best guard based on the weekends observation based on these simple observations: Their actual work is written to enhance the music and bring to life the story the sound is trying to tell. Their were fewer breakdowns in Regiments guard then there were in BD, Cavies, and Cadets.

PR's ensemble work actually lasted long enough to embrace it and enjoy it, they had very little "groups" doing their own thing.

Their demeanor and their presentation was full of poise and sophistication, miles ahead of the other top groups. The little things, as I mentiond in a previous post, also set them apart from the other top guards. The picking up and putting down of equipment, hand placement when spinning and tossing, catching and tossing together...these are what make good guards great guards.

The pure effect this guard offrs, in my opinion, blows the other guard away. The other guard are too busy trying to be as "difficult" as they can without caring of what they are doing makes any sense......

PR definetly has a shot at best guard.

~G~

Phantom Management made a great decision hiring Adam Sage as Guard Caption head. Phantom's gain was Santa Clara's loss. Adam is truly strong in the area of overall visual and is a great asset to Phantom. My guess is the Cadets will win the caption because April Gilligan is no slouch either!!

Phantom Management made a great decision hiring Adam Sage as Guard Caption head.  Phantom's gain was Santa Clara's loss.  Adam is truly strong in the area of overall visual and is a great asset to Phantom.  My guess is the Cadets will win the caption because April Gilligan is no slouch either!!

What does having April Gilligan as a caption head do with who wins guard ?? She was there in 1990, 1992, 1995,1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 also....... :beer: <Im not sure she is even there full tim ethis year>

~G~

What does having April Gilligan as a caption head do with who wins guard ?? She was there in 1990, 1992, 1995,1997, 1998, 1999,2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004 also....... :beer:  <Im not sure she is even there full tim ethis year>

~G~

I'm confused. Cadets' guard was pretty good in all those years.

I do agree, PR's guard is gorgeous this year. They have a shot.

Yes, two words - ADAM SAGE - says it all

Do you remember the Santa Clara Vanguard's Sheherazade colorguard from 2004? Two words - ADAM SAGE

I do miss him at SCV this season. Great flag, costume, and routine designs come from him and his posse. Good luck Phantom Regiment!

I actually think they deserve best guard based on the weekends observation based on these simple observations: Their actual work is written to enhance the music and bring to life the story the sound is trying to tell. Their were fewer breakdowns in Regiments guard then there were in BD, Cavies, and Cadets.

PR's ensemble work actually lasted long enough to embrace it and enjoy it, they had very little "groups" doing their own thing.

Their demeanor and their presentation was full of poise and sophistication, miles ahead of the other top groups. The little things, as I mentiond in a previous post, also set them apart from the other top guards. The picking up and putting down of equipment, hand placement when spinning and tossing, catching and tossing together...these are what make good guards great guards.

The pure effect this guard offrs, in my opinion, blows the other guard away. The other guard are too busy trying to be as "difficult" as they can without caring of what they are doing makes any sense......

PR definetly has a shot at best guard.

~G~

Phantom's guard has taken a HUGE step up this summer, but to say they are doing things to blow away the other top guards is pretty absurd.