Most penalties in prelims and make finals

I do not know the anwser to these:

What Drum Corps had huge penalties in Prelims and were still able to make finals? How many points in penalties and reason if known?

I know of the Anaheim Kingsmen in 1974, but are there other Corps that overcame huge point deficients during prelims?

This would have to be when there was a tick system I guess.

GABA

I know of the Anaheim Kingsmen in 1974, but are there other Corps that overcame huge point deficients during prelims?

GABA

The huge penalty the Anaheim Kingsmen took was US Open in 1973.

They showed up a day late and were given a 13 point penalty before even taking the field for the tardiness. They honestly believed they were scheduled to perform on the day they did show up.

They found out they were a no show by glancing at the front page headlines in a newspaper rack while the buses were waiting for a traffic light to change in Marion.

When the buses rolled into the stadium parking lot cheers erupted from the crowd. They did the prelim show and amazing with 13 points in penalties still made finals.

They went on to win the 1973 US Open.

It is also worth pointing out that they were the defending champions having won the US Open in 1972.

The huge penalty the Anaheim Kingsmen took was US Open in 1973.

They showed up a day late and were given a 13 point penalty before even taking the field for the tardiness. They honestly believed they were scheduled to perform on the day they did show up.

They found out they were a no show by glancing at the front page headlines in a newspaper rack while the buses were waiting for a traffic light to change in Marion.

When the buses rolled into the stadium parking lot cheers erupted from the crowd. They did the prelim show and amazing with 13 points in penalties still made finals.

They went on to win the 1973 US Open.

It is also worth pointing out that they were the defending champions having won the US Open in 1972.

Having been there that year as a marching member of a Class "A" corps- I remember that like it was yesterday!

That was also the year of "The Storm".

The torrential downpour during Blue Rock's show caused them to re-start twice.

When they were called off mid-show the last time because of the rain, they said ####-it and finished their show. The crowd stayed in the stands,gave Blue Rock a thunderous ovation(not to take anything away from AK!) then ran for cover.

The following year, The U.S. Open sold T-Shirts with a play on it's eagle logo-it was the stately eagle with the stars and stripes shield holding an umbrella in it's beak!

(I still have one!)

AHH-good times........great memories!!

Argonne Rebels, 1972 Legion Nationals in Chicago.

The penalties were in the neighborhood of 20-25 points which dropped them down to 20th. They were penalized for 1...being late and 2....going way overtime (they did their full show instead of their prelim show)

But since they were defending champions, they not only got into finals....they won by two points over Cavaliers.

Edited by FrankBeMe

Having been there that year as a marching member of a Class "A" corps- I remember that like it was yesterday!

That was also the year of "The Storm".

The torrential downpour during Blue Rock's show caused them to re-start twice.

When they were called off mid-show the last time because of the rain, they said ####-it and finished their show. The crowd stayed in the stands,gave Blue Rock a thunderous ovation(not to take anything away from AK!) then ran for cover.

The following year, The U.S. Open sold T-Shirts with a play on it's eagle logo-it was the stately eagle with the stars and stripes shield holding an umbrella in it's beak!

(I still have one!)

AHH-good times........great memories!!

I was there for that show LOL!!!

Royal Crusaders were doing the saloon portion, members in white pants sitting on the ground LOL. I believe they couldn't even finish the show because of the downpour.

I was there for that show LOL!!!

Royal Crusaders were doing the saloon portion, members in white pants sitting on the ground  LOL.  I believe they couldn't even finish the show because of the downpour.

Yeah, it was a wet one!

We got back to our busses(which had been sitting with the windows down) and the water was pouring out the doors! :worthy: