Chuck is the King!

It's to bad that line will only be remembered for it's score. The book that season had some cutting edge stuff throughout it.

I may be one of the few, but that's actually what I remember far more than the score.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reviewed the Semis recap..... Of particular note is Perc. Judge #2 Chuck King's scoring.....  He cost Bluecoats a placement

How do you figure he cost the corps a placement? They tied for 5th. He could have

scored the Coats line a 20 and they still would NOT have moved up to 4th.

His low score balances the low score the Scouts received from Bobby Thompson

who dropped them 1.1 from quarters score.

Anyone wanna fill me in some history here?  Any other examples of this kind of thing?

I heard Mike De'Angelo really PO'd SCV some years ago. A heck of an instructor, but I don't remember the judging snafu details. Somebody from SCV can probably give us that.

Edited by bstar82

OK, I'll say it...

Wouldn't the other option be, oh, I don't know, SLOTTING?? 

It bothers some of you that he would rank the 'coats drums lower than they had been scoring this season.  It bothers me that some people don't think the 'coats can have a 5th place performance in drums one night and a 9th place performance the next night.

What if this scenario happens - say the Blooo drums finish first tonight (as they have shown they can do this year).  Couldn't the Cadet borg then start screaming - "We were on top in drums almost all year, and the Bluecoats were way back in the pack.  That judge is a *^$!!"

I'm almost, I don't know, encouraged when a judges numbers are way off the average.  Seems to me they are calling it like they see it.

You make an excellent point.

However, a judges numbers can also be off average when that judge isn't using the criteria the way it was intended.

Does anyone know where or even if the judges sheets can be seen by the average fan? Not one from last night, just an unused sheet. I know the criteria for the point ranges are very detailed and specific and I would love to play "desk chair" judge armed with more information.

kat

I heard Mike De'Angelo really PO'd SCV some years ago.  A heck of an instructor, but I don't remember the judging snafu details.  Somebody from SCV can probably give us that.

Well, it certainly wasn't '89 because he put them in 1st on finals night

Bluecoats weren't the only ones who got screwed by King. He scored Capital a 15.9. Their last show was a 17.1 ahead of Crossmen at Crossmen's home show. Now I realize that the judging is expected to be tougher here, but to drop them to a 15.9?! C'mon, we're not talking about a placement shift here, but the members deserve an accurate representation of their work.

I heard Mike De'Angelo really PO'd SCV some years ago.  A heck of an instructor, but I don't remember the judging snafu details.  Somebody from SCV can probably give us that.

I believe D'Angelo judged finals in '89 and dumped Regiment that night. If I remember correctly it was discovered that if you replaced his score from finals with the semis score from the same subcaption Regiment would have had a 99.1 at '89 finals. I believe he was banned from even attending finals in '90. It appears there are some historical problems with percussion judges during DCI week.

OK, I'll say it...

Wouldn't the other option be, oh, I don't know, SLOTTING?? 

It bothers some of you that he would rank the 'coats drums lower than they had been scoring this season.  It bothers me that some people don't think the 'coats can have a 5th place performance in drums one night and a 9th place performance the next night.

What if this scenario happens - say the Blooo drums finish first tonight (as they have shown they can do this year).  Couldn't the Cadet borg then start screaming - "We were on top in drums almost all year, and the Bluecoats were way back in the pack.  That judge is a *^$!!"

I'm almost, I don't know, encouraged when a judges numbers are way off the average.  Seems to me they are calling it like they see it.

Dude.....both judges are listening to the same line. In fact, the guy on the field also moves in front of the pit. If there are ensemble tears, both numbers would have been low.

Bottom line.... You CANNOT justify one Perc. Judge giving a 19, and the other a 17.4. If the #2 judge were at a 18.5, or even an 18.0 I wouldn't be so friggin ticked off (no pun intended- b**bs )

This guy screwed up.... Take a look at tonight's percussion judge spreads. Kristensen and Griffin are two of the best in the biz...no way they'll be almost two point from each other. In Div I it just shouldn't happen....especially during finals week!

On July 16th, King judged at Denver (Perc. #2) and the spreads weren't this bad, In fact he was on the high side with Seattle. One would think that the spreads would be bigger mid-season rather on the last week of the year!! Thek King is Jude #2 at San Antonio July 23 afternoon show. He has Spirit at 17.1 there, and SCV at a 17.... Fast Forward to Semis.... He gives Spirit a 16.8, and SCV a 17.3?!?!?!?!?!?!-- :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

Summary... King judges on 7/16..7/23...and then semis..... Although I don't have a problem with him judging only three shows.... he never saw half the corps he saw at semis, and tanked most of the ones he never did see!!! Not good!!