Death of the Cymbal Line

sorry but there's a lot of cymbal things you can't get in the pit. many of them require two plates not on a stand to make them happen.

try playing taps or ziechens (sp) when the cymbal is on a stand

um Jeff, it's called having a set of concert cymbals in the pit and having a member play a pair of cymbals when those types of sounds are needed. When I said cymbals in the pit I wasn't only talking about ride cymbals.

Cadets had done it for years with a couple pairs of concert cymbals in the pit which different pit members would pick up and play when needed.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm biased here. A total SCV cymbal junkie. I'll admit that freely going into my reply:

From a purely functional standpoint, you may be right. However, when a cymbal line achieves the persona and stature that SCV's always does, I think it would be a crying shame to think they were merely optional - or something SCV doesn't really need. I could watch an accomplished cymbal line (like SCV's) all day and get a kick out of it every time. It has to be contributing to their GE scores as well. (It certainly would if I were a judge.) I used to constantly tell people "If SCV's entire corps was always up to the same level as their cymbal line, I bet they'd win DCI every year."

Maybe that's what we need to generate some more interest in marching cymbals - "The SCV Cymbal Cam". It could follow them around and show people just how hard they are working out there...and what a contribution they really are.

:rolleyes:

First of all, I want to thank you for what you have said. As a member of the Vanguard's cymbal line for three years it comes as a great compliment to know our work was appreciated.

I think it is the way that drum corps is evolving, that most corps are dropping thier cymbal lines. It has become more of a business model than a classic drum corps model. Cymbal parts, can be played by unoccupied members of the pit, there fore they are no longer neede nor are they cost effective. It is the way of the new corps model. I am currently putting together a cymbal line/ensemble for the Kingsmen Alumni corps. I am very excited about it.

Thanks again, as a cymbal player it means a lot that you all appreciated our art.

I try to make it a point to watch SCV's cymbal line for the entire show during at least one time I see them. this year I watched nothing but the cymbl line for finals, and they are always a joy to watch.

I remember watching that line during an encore standstill performance in Marion, Ohio in 1997 and being amazed at the visuals they were doing. I have enjoyed the lines since then but that line took it another step with everything they did.

um Jeff, it's called having a set of concert cymbals in the pit and having a member play a pair of cymbals when those types of sounds are needed.  When I said cymbals in the pit I wasn't only talking about ride cymbals.

Cadets had done it for years with a couple pairs of concert cymbals in the pit which different pit members would pick up and play when needed.

so you reccomend having 5 people drop their mallets and go into a split part of taps, z's, slide chokes, clunks, and everything else?

no way, it'd never happen.

do me a favor, find a way to see the Reading Buccaneers cymbal line this year and tell me a pit could do that. Show me a pit tech that would sacrfice the key parts to make this happen.

Cymbal Techs, Pit Techs, Tenor Techs, no wonder the cost of drum corps went up!!! What happend to the "Drum Instructor" what happened to the members being creative, is every section of the show done by a tech? Don't get me wrong I'm not dissing the corps, but if the price of running a corps keeps going maybe they should think about not having a tech for evey kid out there.

so you reccomend having 5 people drop their mallets and go into a split part of taps, z's, slide chokes, clunks, and everything else?

no way, it'd never happen.

do me a favor, find a way to see the Reading Buccaneers cymbal line this year and tell me a pit could do that. Show me a pit tech that would sacrfice the key parts to make this happen.

Well no i wouldn't advocate using 5 people to play split cymbal parts. but really didn't the split cymbal part come about because we had 5 people playing cymbals? Do you really need a zing or tap run? couldn't one or two people play alternate taps or zings and get pretty much the same effect? after all it's not like the current cymbal lines that are out there are using different size cymbals like we used to when I marched lids when a split part actually meant a different texture because one guy was on 20" lids, the next on 22", and so on. we even had a guy march 26" lids when I was on cymbals. Now all the lines are marching a uniform size cymbal so split parts would sound the same played by one, two, or five players.

Wow - this is news to me - and quite disturbing - a cymbal line that marches is as "drum corps" and as American as apple pie - and now DCI corps are going AWAY from cymbal lines?

That's downright treasonous!!

Absurd!

Unbelievable!

I say put em on the field - at least 5 marching cymbals with plates of different sizes and tones, and if you want some on stands in the pits for long cymbal rolls or to complement the marching cymbals, fine, but ya GOTTA march with PLATES, man!

Cymbals on the field, and those intrepid souls who sweat, bleed, build major biceps and add SO VERY MUCH to a show MUST NOT FADE AWAY!!

This could be a "bumper sticker" issue here!

"PLATES - March or Die!"

"Crash or Burn!"

"Real corps march cymbals!"

"Cymbal players do it on the field!"

Cymbal Techs, Pit Techs, Tenor Techs, no wonder the cost of drum corps went up!!!  What happend to the "Drum Instructor"  what happened to the members being creative, is every section of the show done by a tech?  Don't get me wrong I'm not dissing the corps, but if the price of running a corps keeps going maybe they should think about not having a tech for evey kid out there.

these days ya need more than one person to do it all. that you have people able to be proficient in one voice is great...an expert solely on that instrument

Well no i wouldn't advocate using 5 people to play split cymbal parts.  but really didn't the split cymbal part come about because we had 5 people playing cymbals?  Do you really need a zing or tap run?  couldn't one or two people play alternate taps or zings and get pretty much the same effect?  after all it's not like the current cymbal lines that are out there are using different size cymbals like we used to when I marched lids when a split part actually meant a different texture because one guy was on 20" lids, the next on 22", and so on.  we even had a guy march 26" lids when I was on cymbals.  Now all the lines are marching a uniform size cymbal so split parts would sound the same played by one, two, or five players.

actually some lid lines are still using different sizes, and if done right ( like Bucs) the split stuff comes across crystal clear.

it's all in the design. if you write for your plates like they are an afterthought, they will come accross that way.

the split parts on the different sizes add a tonality to it, which is why i used the bass drum reference.

trust me, see Bucs. Your mind would change.

I undestand bucs use traditional tonal lids, but we are talking DCI, and in DCI the lines are no longer tonal. The lines are all using one size cymbal, my guess would be a 20".

so a run down the line is really nothing more than visual because the tones are all the same, except for maybe different technique from player to player but that would be a bad thing.

So jeff this is a DCI thread, not a DCA thread. My comments all were based on what DCI is currently using, something I'm sure you are not aware of since you no longer attend shows. Which brings me to another point, since you no longer attend shows, and no longer care about DCI corps, why do you constantly read and post on the junior threads? All you ever seem to do is come on here and add some negative remark about DCI and the path it is taking. I'm not for all the changes (especially miced voice, and the finals retreat issue), but I still love drum corps and will keep supporting it.

We all get how much you hate junior corps and everything it stands for now. You've told us all, many times, now just go watch your DCA and be happy with their traditional bugles, oh wait DCA is allowing 3 valves and Bb horns now aren't they? looks like you're gonna have to limit yourself to alumni corps now.

Edited by bluecoats88