Woodwinds & the Demise of Drum Corps

Excerts from an article at Drum Corps...Bands...International site:

(begin quote)

Woodwinds debut at 2005 I&E

'Noting that this event seems a stretch for many drum corps fans, Fiedler adds, “I don’t think anyone should be overly concerned that we’re changing the basic nature of our activity. We’re just offering more opportunities for our musicians.”

In the end, virtually every performer walked away a winner. ' (end quote)

And Drum & Bugle Corps walked away a loser. It's over.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I want drum corps to be exactly

like it was when I marched!!!"

No. I'd be happy if "it" were simply drum corps. But "it" is not. "It" is bands pure and simple.

To try and cloak "it" as "Drum Corps" is dishonest. Do what you're going to do...add amps and mikes and vocals and woodwinds and grease your palms with the large band manufacturer reps. Fine. But don't call it Drum Corps because it isn't. Merge with Bands of America and get it over with.

Edited by Brassop

Or some other thing that has changed which you don't like.

Sure. Fans that expect everything to remain the same forever are whiny.

Just to play devil's advocate, though, you let the "corps evolution" folks off the hook entirely. As if changing things were a get-out-of-jail free card...don't criticize us...we have the "vision" thing. "You are just stuck in the past," they tell traditionalists.

That's just intellectual laziness.

This amp/electronics/narration/clarinet baby is an irritating little cuss.

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

WAHHH!!! I want AMPS!!! WAHHHH!!! I want electronics and singing!!!! WAHHHH!!! I want $$$ and gifts-in-kind from corporate suppliers who sell amps and speakers and other toys that will ensure I look and sound nothing like a traditional drum corps!!!! WAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I want clarinets and flutes in my drum and bugle corps!!!! WAHHHHH!!!

Talk about a whiny baby that won't shut up. It wants attention and love and will cry and scream until it gets it. This baby is no alternative.

If the evolution crowd wants to have band competitions, maybe they should just get lost and start a band circuit...and take their "corps" with them. Otherwise, call it what it is...it's a band competition. "Drum corps," regardless of what you think personally, implies to a large segment of this activity a root in tradition, and that tradition makes some members of the activity's elite bored and restless, apparently. If they hate that tradition so much, maybe they should be the ones leaving.

Just a few thoughts. Now please, continue your attitude dismissive of those that don't agree with you. Your baby that's scared of the future is just as bad as the baby that wants too much. B)