Woodwinds & the Demise of Drum Corps

I won't make a personal attack.  I'll make one in general:

Woodwinds have NO place in the drum corps activity.  PERIOD.

(well, guess it's more of an opinion than an attack, but....er, well.......I'm sure someone will interpret it as an attack [sigh])

Jar Jar Binks will be reporting you shortly.

Meesa bombad stomp them. ^0^

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too agree that there should NOT be woodwinds on the field but bringing woodwinds into the I&E is precisely the way to get them ONTO the field.  You introduce them slowly, non-threateningly, make it palatable, plausible.  "I&E no biggie."  You're right where they want you.  I give it 2 or 3 years 'till woodwinds are allowed on the field.  What a cool horn flash to-the-box that will be.  :rolleyes:

Can you kindly show me where that precedent is? Did they "slowly, non-threateningly" add valves to a once valveless instrument? Did they "slowly, non-threateningly" add amplification? When were Bb instruments given their own venues at I&E as a precursor to adding them on the field?? Because as a fan who watched the changeover, I was AT those I&E events leading up to the year they went any-key and I can tell you it didn't happen that way at all.

As for your whining and trolling, dude, it's getting to the point where I'm ashamed to say I ever shared a field with you.

Stef

My two cents: I think a lot of you are overreacting and crying wolf to apocalypse of DCI.

Anyone who thinks that they would keep the personnel at 135 if they added woodwinds is out of their minds. They would raise the personnel limit to around 180 or so (or whatever another bus would hold), and THEN make the woodwind rule change. Not gonna happen.

Guess I'm out of my mind.

The scenario I envision is that the rules will be changed to allow amplification of ANY instrument in the pit. This will get woodwinds into the pit amplified. No need to increase the numbers to 180 or have huge expenditures. But enough to get the sound. Just like with voice it won't be through an entire show. A few corps at first, perhaps someone doing a Benny Goodman show or John Coltrane. Some corps will use synthesizers rather than woodwinds.

I don't know if having woodwinds in I&E makes that scenario more likely or not. But it is what I think the most likely way woodwinds will be introduced on the field.

I happen to agree with you Tommy. Woodwinds will not be introduced into drum corps, on the field, anytime soon.

~G~

...but you can bet they'll be "attempted to be introduced" via a rules change proposal to the Board of Directors meeting next year. :P

I won't make a personal attack.  I'll make one in general:

Woodwinds have NO place in the drum corps activity.  PERIOD.

(well, guess it's more of an opinion than an attack, but....er, well.......I'm sure someone will interpret it as an attack [sigh])

Here's my take, not that anyone gives a rats ask about it...

It took the corps that be 10 years to get amps in, 1993/94 is when they were proposed by the former Cadets of Begren County.

I'm ok with amps, so long as they amp instruments and not people.

But the whole woodwind thing is effen insane for me. Why are people arguing that woodwinds will be ok in Drum Corps, you could not call it Drum Corps anymore, because it would not be Drum and Bugle Corps anymore, it will be Band.

And WHY WHY WHY do we need to possibly let woodwinds in, why not just have a summer band tour in conjuction with DCI, oh yea, I believe it's been tried a few times by BOA and it's failed.