157 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favorite venue!

• Gillette Stadium - Foxboro, MA
    • Invesco Field at Mile High - Denver, CO
    • Citrus Bowl - Orlando, FL
    • Camp Randall Stadium - Madison, WS
    • Ralph Wilson Stadium - Buffalo, NY
    • Byrd Stadium - College Park, MD

These are just the recent venues hosting the DCI world championships. I didn't want to go too far back because they're a little different now.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally like the Citrus Bowl, it's near disney world, great to hang out before finals night. Plus the yardlines aren't very contrasting so it's not distracting.

I'll rank them:

1st - Madison (can't and won't vote against this one)

2nd - Buffalo (love the place and location)

3rd - Denver (I felt we were treated right)

4th - Orlando (I know....I know)

5th - Maryland (It was hot there....but I still liked the D.C area)

6th - Boston (mainly because of the $$$ - plus I don't think the fans were treated all that well, from what I saw)

I've been at finals since '03, therefore my options are limited. Of the 3 sites I've been to, I would say Denver was my favorite. Great seating, excellent weather, pretty good accoustics from what I remember, and the stadium staff weren't a problem like at Gillette.

Another thing I didn't really like about Gillette was that when we were over there, I felt like I was in the middle of no where.

You know what had amazing acoustics? Byrd Stadium. You'd be surprised but nothing comes close when it's discussing playing backfield.

Here is my order:

1- Madison - No explanation is needed and no explanation can be given

2- Buffalo - no hassel, lotsa parking and niagara falls

3- Orlando - easy to get to and nice area

4- Denver - interstates and getting in to park was a nightmare

5- Maryland - kinda small

12- Foxboro - I didnt like it in 94 and I gather the fans didn't like it this year!!!

I can't believe anyone would vote for Gillette stadium! That was by far the worst stadium I have ever performed in... not because of the field itself, but because of all the other drama. The stadium would not let any cook trucks into the parking lot, so it was either stadium food ($6.75 for pizza, $3.50 for water) or walking at least a mile down the road to find somewhere else to eat. Some friends of mine and I started calling finals "the purple wristband persecution" because of how poorly the members of each drum corps were treated by stadium personnel. I know that the fire department was "acting with caution" due to the information they had about the weather... but I seem to remember that pretty much everyone at least got drizzled on (with exception to the Madison Scouts, props to them) in 1993. The stadium staff evacuated everyone from their seats starting in the MIDDLE of... I believe Blue Knights performance? Then they kept pushing the fans back further and further towards the ramps... unless they happened to be a big spender and were sitting in a certain area- then they didn't have to move any further. I don't know about other drum corps kids, but I personally would not mind if DCI never went to that venue ever again.

Camp Randall without a doubt. On street parking is free, if you want close, people sell yard spaces for $5-$15. People in Madison are corps friendly. Great downtown area. Only negative to Madison is all the streets in the area that go at an angle make it easy to end up a mile or 2 from the stadium without realizing it!