Waterbury scores

Where we (Sunrisers) were practising there was no rain, other than a few tiny drops for about 5 minutes in the morning. It was great rehearsal weather. Not too hot and not too sunny.

I hope someone that reads DCP will post a review of the show. It's always nice to know how our show went from the perspective of someone in the stands.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not for nothing, Tom, but this was NOT a drum corps audience. SOME drum corps fans were out there, but mostly locals, it seemed.

No standing O's for any corps out there...it was like playing for an oil painting. 

We charged the stands for the end of our victory concert, and were BLASTING the crowd in the face to the end of our show, and they just clapped. A couple of "woo wooos!" here and there... It was depressing, to say the least!!

NEXT WEEK however, is West Haven, and that town loves them some drum corps!! Packed stands every year, and a VERY enthusiastic crowd.

FYI Waterbury is very much a drum corps town. when the Waterbury show has been cancelled or shoved around in the past it was Waterbury who fought to keep the show.

there's alot that goes into the timing of Saturday's show which had to do with the response everyone got on Saturday night. many of the people there had been outside are various memorial services during the day. there wasn't anything that was going to get a standing O out of them as they didn't feel it was the appropriate thing to do. just as the fireworks across town many feel weren't appropriate. alot of people think celebrating the memory of a horrific event should be a bit more solemn of an occassion.

just an FYI of some of the sentiments expressed on a local station.

FYI Waterbury is very much a drum corps town.  when the Waterbury show has been cancelled or shoved around in the past it was Waterbury who fought to keep the show.

there's alot that goes into the timing of Saturday's show which had to do with the response everyone got on Saturday night.  many of the people there had been outside are various memorial services during the day.  there wasn't anything that was going to get a standing O out of them as they didn't feel it was the appropriate thing to do.  just as the fireworks across town many feel weren't appropriate.  alot of people think celebrating the memory of a horrific event should be a bit more solemn of an occassion.

just an FYI of some of the sentiments expressed on a local station.

OK, that's BS and you know it. Drum Corps makes Drum Corps FANS go NUTS when an excellent corps is on the field, no matter HOW solemn the day was. If ANYTHING, drum corps makes its fans and it's marching members FORGET about all the garbage that's going on in the real world and in our lives, and lets us have FUN with our existence. You haven't been out of it THAT long to forget what that is like. I spoke to other people about it that have been there in the past, and MOST of them said something to the effect of "Typical clueless Waterbury crowd, eh?"

To the real fans that were there, thank you for the accolades and the support. All the corps last night appreciate it. Real drum corps fans KNOW that the members of the corps NEED that energy from the stands during a performance to give them that extra boost during their shows. I feed off of it while I'm performing, and it makes my performance that much better. Always has, always will. A flat crowd is NO fun to perform for. You march onto the field with an expectation from the audience. When that expectation isn't fulfilled, it just sucks.

Oh and by the way, when fireworks on the 4th of July are set off, they're representing BOMBS and GUN FIRE in this country's past wars that have been fought. Lots of horrific events there, and everyone in the USA pretty much oohs and ahhs, applauds, and goes nuts when they're set off...shouldn't those be inappropriate too? With your logic, yes, but we know better, don't we.

Edited by RumpsPlayer2000

I would have to agree. Out of the many times that I remember performing there, Waterbury has always been a small quiet crowd. I don't know, maybe it's all the rain in there that makes the crowd like that.

Yeah, the "town of Waterbury" might be a drum corps town because the guys that want the show (stadium administration) like drum corps, but that doesn't mean the whole TOWN loves drum corps. The stands weren't packed, the crowd was flat, and there wasnt a drop of rain. Figure that one out.

Well when you compare West Haven to Waterbury Chris, West Haven isn't exactly a drum corps town either then. What you are seeing in West Haven is a large group of band parents and marching band members and some drum corps fans. band camps across the state hype up the show huge here this week. honestly the town of West Haven isn't what makes that show the success it is.

as far as this comment:

by the way, when fireworks on the 4th of July are set off, they're representing BOMBS and GUN FIRE in this country's past wars that have been fought. Lots of horrific events there, and everyone in the USA pretty much oohs and ahhs, applauds, and goes nuts when they're set off...shouldn't those be inappropriate too? With your logic, yes, but we know better, don't we.

would you consider setting off fireworks for a 9/11 memorial? most people wouldn't. somehow, for some reason, some people felt it wasn't proper for a commemoration of a flood and the people who drowned in it.

Well when you compare West Haven to Waterbury Chris, West Haven isn't exactly a drum corps town either then.  What you are seeing in West Haven is a large group of band parents and marching band members and some drum corps fans.  band camps across the state hype up the show huge here this week.  honestly the town of West Haven isn't what makes that show the success it is.

would you consider setting off fireworks for a 9/11 memorial? most people wouldn't.  somehow, for some reason, some people felt it wasn't proper for a commemoration of a flood and the people who drowned in it.

I never said West Haven was a drum corps town, I said the crowd was awesome. Truth? Yes.

No, I wouldn't set off fireworks for 9/11. It had nothing to do with the independence of our country. Memorials do the trick for 9/11 and somber events. But then we go to DRUM CORPS SHOWS, and forget all the SAD stuff, and move on with our lives, and have FUN.

You can be sad and somber at a drum corps show all you like. You won't see me doing it...not in a million years. I go there to enjoy myself. The Waterbury spectators should have done the same, but then again...THEY WEREN'T REAL DRUM CORPS FANS, like I originally stated.

Let's drop it, before this gets worse.

Edited by RumpsPlayer2000

:worthy: OK,

I have to respond to this ....coming from a former hurricane member obviously you know where my alligience lies ... I was in the stands Sat night and i truly enjoyed the show ....and it is not like i dont know what i am talking about ... granted there were not alot of people in the stands ...For whatever reason .... and it may have rained on some corps more than others ... But from a former marcher depending on who you march with or marched with there was alot of knowledgable people in that crowd ....

And in IMO you all put your best effort forward regaurdless and the chips fell where they fell ... That is DCA like it or not ... I for one enjoyed the show overall ... :worthy: Thanks for a good showing from all involved ... Congrats to Bush on a solid victory

You know why the crowd was flat? because I wasn't up there! I could have done a Malibu wave or chicken dance to get the crowd riled up for you! :P I'll be bringing "babies" for next week's performance Chris.

I did get a chance to talk to a couple people that stopped by the souvie booth that were from the neighborhood, and said they totally enjoy the show because they love drum corps and they love that they live right down the street. So I know some people were enjoying it.

Edited by Mellochick

Listen, I said there were SOME real corps fans in the stands Saturday night...it just felt like MOST weren't. Hope that clears it up.

Also, I'd tend to think that if members of OTHER corps were in the stands, they too would not cheer very loudly for corps they are competing against, which is normal.

For me personally, I had the best show of my season, despite the crowd. I've seen worse crowds...this one was normal for Waterbury.