cell phones on tour

Should corps members be allowed to have cell phones on tour?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Should corps members be allowed to have cell phones on tour?

• Yes.
    • Yes, but with many restrictions.
    • No.

Yes, we all survived without cell phones. But, I don't know if you have looked for a pay phone recently. They are REALLY hard to find in most places except airports.

Our daughter had a cell phone and called us several times a week. As a Mom, I must say that I really appreciated hearing from her and knowing that she was alive a well. We also traded a lot of text messages which are quick and unobtrusive.

I would really have to think twice about letting her march a corps that did not permit cell phones. Fortunately, Cavaliers won't be an option.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with drumcorpsguardmom that I apprecieated hearing from my daughter. I hope no one misinterpreted my original post as meaning that I didn't want to hear from her or didn't miss her. Trust me, I missed her terribly and I made sure that she knew that. I just remember that in my own marching experience, the bond I had with the other members was the best part of marching corps (for me) and I wanted her to have the full benefit of that experience as well. She wasn't getting it as long as she was spending ALL her free time calling home.

I am glad that the corps she marches with DOES allow them, because it was nice to be able to talk to her on occassion to know how she was doing, and being her rookie year and first time away from home I'm sure that it helped with the homesickness. I do feel, however, that there should be some restrictions (maybe designate the time to prepare for bed as cell phone time as well) so they don't feel cut off from home, but it will also promote the socializing that IMO is key in a full corps experience.

I too was a drum corps parent. Let me give it to you from two perspectives. Our son marched the Magic of Orlando in '98 and '99 right before they folded for one season. He did not have a cell phone (less pervasive in the late 90's). We welcomed every call because we were very worried about how things were going on tour. There were many tour issues, and it was obvious that money was an issue with the corps. It was bad.

He then joined the Cavaliers for '00 to '02. What a difference. This is a corps that knows how to run a tour. The welfare of the corps members come first. Regular medical care, outstanding tour planning, the best leadership. He was not permitted to have a cell phone. We never missed it. Yes, finding pay phones is hard. Jeff Fiedler makes it a point of getting them opportunities to call home. I have never seen exactly why the Cavaliers do not permit cell phones, but I know that it revolves around building corps identity and getting to know those who you are marching with. It is my observation that bus time is a time to build the unit, not conduct phone calls with friends back home. Once you get to know the Cavaliers, you begin to understand how they can make this type of rule not only stick, but be accepted by the members.

"He then joined the Cavaliers for '00 to '02. What a difference. This is a corps that knows how to run a tour. The welfare of the corps members come first. Regular medical care, outstanding tour planning, the best leadership. "

I curious about the regular medical care. What did that consist of?

dks

"He then joined the Cavaliers for '00 to '02.  What a difference.  This is a corps that knows how to run a tour.  The welfare of the corps members come first.  Regular medical care, outstanding tour planning, the best leadership.  "

I curious about the regular medical care.  What did that consist of?

dks

a nurse on tour with the corps, and a conditioning program that goes from pre-season to finals week. at least that's how it was when i toured with them.....

Ü

jan

I did not go on a drum corps tour, but I have gone to Europe a few times with different musical organizations. When I went, we would have these square pieces of material and use long, skinny tools to put messages on them. Then we would put it inside a thin case and put a sticky little square in the upper right hand corner. They would magically be taken to our parents. I am not sure how, I think owls might have delivered them.

(All kidding aside, I think cell phones are ok as long as kids don't abuse them. Where I see the most abuse coming in is kids talking to their boyfriend/girlfriend back home and not making friends in the corps.)

I curious about the regular medical care. What did that consist of?

The Cavaliers have a conditioning program that is run by "Satan" as Jeff Feidler calls him, I do not know his real name. It is outstanding in preventing injury. They also have the usual oputstanding nursing care. In addition to this, a couple of Cavaliers FMMs are doctors and work with the corps (One is an orthopedist as I remember). The Marching Members get checkups and preventative advice early in the June camp. And then during tour, one or more of the docs will come out for further work and advice on a periodic basis. They are also available for consultation by phone. All this has greatly reduced their injury rate according to Jeff.

I did not go on a drum corps tour, but I have gone to Europe a few times with different musical organizations. When I went, we would have these square pieces of material and use long, skinny tools to put messages on them. Then we would put it inside a thin case and put a sticky little square in the upper right hand corner. They would magically be taken to our parents. I am not sure how, I think owls might have delivered them.

(All kidding aside, I think cell phones are ok as long as kids don't abuse them. Where I see the most abuse coming in is kids talking to their boyfriend/girlfriend back home and not making friends in the corps.)

i've been doing this a long time, and that is the biggest thing i've noticed since i've aged out........does anyone else remeber the long lineups at pay phones in stadiums after a show? it used to be silly..... and i still do not have a cell phone :P

I have volunteered with the Cavaliers since my son marched and aged out. The phone policy is a sound one and helps the members to build stronger relationships with each other IMO. One thing I saw all the time was that staff, drivers, cooks, medical personnel (a doc and two nurses for the month I was there), all shared their personal cell phones with the members when they needed them. That seemed to reduce the need for pay phones. Many parents with special skills, like the registered Massage Therepist, and the beautician who flew in to give haircuts to the guys all day long, make the organization run smoothly. I hope other corps tap thier parents, former members and fans this way, most of us who volunteer there see the need for what we do and are anxious to volunteer the next year. :P

• 4 months later...
I think cell phones should definately be allowed. In 03 when I marched Crown, the only restrictions I knew of was you were not allowed to use the at rehearsal or while in uniform. There may of been more, who knows, but I think it is definately a good thing to have. They are alot cheaper than phone cards, and your family and friends can get ahold of you as well. I definately would have been alot more homesick and stressed out at the end of the summer without my ce.ll

I agree. Text messaging is a great way to stay in touch without using up minutes. At first it took me a while to get the hang of it but there is this really informative tutorial at www.fasttext.t9.com that helped me immensely. If you ask me there should be more free resources out there to help people handle technology. Communication helps keep people level headed and hopeful. I am pro-cellphones.