Ballad of the year

Cadets 2005 is one of the best ballads ever in my book.  The intensity just builds and builds, the brass is unreal, and the percussion work really makes the piece great IMO.

I'm with you. Cadets' ballad this year was absolutely incredible... it gave me chills. I'm not sure how it can get any better than that. And don't forget the incredible guard work during the ballad.

This year, I'd put Crown in a distant (far distant) 2nd place. They also did a great job with their ballad.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the Cavies played an actually good ballad since 1992...?

What about the Jupiter Hymn of 1995?

or Lento from Dance Movements 1998?

The latest shows (2000 and on) may not have memorable ballads b/c it's mainly original music (excluding 2000 and 2004 of course). But they have still produced really beautiful moments. The ending of 2004's ballad was beautiful.

My vote for THIS years best ballad...Cadets. I remember the most of this one. The percussion in it was something I'd never heard before and it was really awesome and refreshing.

Close calls - Cavies (gotta love those Mellos), Phantom, Crown, and the Colts.

Crown. I've played all the ballards of the top 12 on DCI Pass. Crown's ballard sounds just as good to me as when I heard and saw it live. Their ballard was simply " angelic " this year. One of the best ballards I've ever heard. And I have heard quite a few. Cadets drum line parts ruined what would have been a close 2nd choice for me, despite the fact the brass arrangement and execution was superb. I understand what the snare line was doing in this ballard with it's different tempo from the brass section and that fit in well with the theme. It just gets beat out by Crown's ballard that overall was just more pleasing to this poster's ears in the end. Percussion, battery, and brass line all were better integrated into Crown's ballard to give them my vote. What an incredible mellophone line useage in Crown's ballard too.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

i'm really not trying to be an a-hole, but i can't believe crown's is getting favorite tabs...wow, i thought it was kind of silly although it was thematically fitting...

cadets of course was amazing, i can't say anything that hasn't already been said about it...so i won't...

i think it's funny that only cap reg people will say cap reg ballad, but i must admit, it was pretty sweet

bluecoats were pretty solid

Uncalled for brassmeaway...

Just to give everyone an idea of what the Cadets battery was playing during the ballad check this VicFirth video out. It's unreal that this is a ballad

Definately my favorite part of DCI 2005

Anyone else find it funny how instead of simply decrecendoing, the battery just moved farther and farther away until they had crossed the entirety of the field...A nice touch vicually and musically!

I'd say Crown.. I just thought it was beautiful and moving. Loved it.

among my other favorites were Cavaliers (the treatment of Amazing Grace -- first in the mellos.. then later, like a sigh of relief from the baritones.. that gets me every time.. I get a knot in my throat just thinking about it), Crossmen (this is a favorite for personal reasons -- but then the played it so well!) and Spirit (Pie Jesu.. come on.. I had goosebumps the size of healthy marmots!)

Stef

im a lil biased but the colts ballad this year just rocked the stadiums, if you all havent heard it maybe you should listen and repost

Are you referring to "The Promise of Living" from the Tender Land? If so, then yes, please add this to my list of "other favorites."

I liked it a lot.. but the main reason this wasn't my FAVORITE this year was that the build-up and payoff was a little bit.. umm.. anti-climactic for me. The buildup was great.. but I expected a different chord at the end (wanted it to go up into that broad, open chord.. instead of down to the same chord they'd just played) and that would have made it absolutely my favorite ballad of the year.

Stef