The South and Drum Corps

I have always wondered why the South doesn't have a top 5 drum corps? The West has BD and SCV. The Midwest has Phantom/Cavies/Madison. The Northeast has The Cadets.

To my knowledge a corps from the South has never won DCI Title, why is this? Granted we have Crown/Spirit/Magic, but we don't have anything down here like the big boys of DCI.

It really is strange when you have VERY strong highschool marching bands in the south to pull from like Georgia, Alabama, Florida, etc. Not to mention great College Bands such as JSU, FSU, Troy, UGA, LSU, Bama, etc. What would it take to build an elite drum corps in the South and will there ever be a corps from the South to crack the top 5 in the future?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well when there are already 5 corps in the top 5 spots its kinda hard to put anyone else in there.

SPIRIT is the next top five corps from the South!

Back in the late 70's and early to mid 80's, Spirit of Atlanta was a Top 5 program, but fell on hard times later in the decade, eventually having to reform in 1995 or so.

The two big keys to a successful program that I see are staff/member retention and the almighty dollar. Give it time...Carolina Crown seems to have both now will be coming along sooner than most think, building on this year and 2004. :)

The only reason those top programs are on top is because of the talent they pull from the south! :P

True True, two of our drum majors at UGA marched cavies, one of our clarinet players was drum major of Crown for 3 years and we our past 2 percussion section leaders marched snare in 2003 Phantom and 2005 Cadets respectively.

True True, two of our drum majors at UGA marched cavies, one of our clarinet players was drum major of Crown for 3 years and we our past 2 percussion section leaders marched snare in 2003 Phantom and 2005 Cadets respectively.

You should be on that list too then...go out, march, and be another bullDAWG on that list!

Too hot down there?

Guest mafields627

Phantom has siphoned talent from Louisiana for years. Now, Boston has a camp in Florida...in addition to Magic.

Southwind was tearing up DII back when they were in Montgomery. Suncoast Sound was great, Tarheel Sound was pretty good too.

I think that the right combination of talent + staff + staff hasn't come along lately.

Too hot down there?

there may be something to that. I remember marching Phantom and we alternated between DCI South and East on alternate years, and even though I grew up in Nashville, we dreaded that southern swing.

Then I taught Spirit in 92 and realized June, July, and August are not meant to be spent entirely outdoors in the southern US LOL