"...close to 50,000 in attendance..."

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're comparing changes within a genre that had already established itself as a popular music form, not comparing two COMPLETELY different genres.

Also, I never used "demise of an art form" anywhere thoughout these postings. Read again.

And, I play euph/bari and was also a colorguard member and dancer. I'm 24; I was not even alive in the 1970's and don't particularly like the 70's brand of drum corps. I came of age when DCI really *was* on life support. My favorite drum corps music is the music that came out of SCV 97-03. Don't make broad and sweeping assumptions about me or my motives, either.

Maybe you've noticed that the 2005 corps doesn't sound much like the 1970's anycorps.  No one listened to grunge until it had its own identity.  No one listened to punk until it was refined for the mass market.  No one took rap seriously until it was comical about intense issues.

Tell me why drum corps couldn't become a 'classical' genre now...  Maybe the odds aren't great, but who really thought that GlamRock bands were going to be replaced by plaid-wearing stoners from Seattle?

(cue the Stryper power-ballad)

Sweeping assumptions about the demise of an art form is more proof that it's alive and well.

I really don't think you have a clear grasp on American youth. I think drum corps would probably reach more people in Europe and Asia, which I think DCI should definitly look into, since it is hellbent on expanding.

Do you honestly believe that the same guy who watches hotdog eating contests on espn2 is going to get into the 2005 version of The Cadets or George Gershwin? Yeah, most of your average Nascar dads just LOVED "Dancer In the Dark"; and I'm sure most of the intellectually/culturally comatose American fifteen year-olds would be just as enthralled . Guess what? The teenagers who would be interested in drum corps are already involved in music/band. We need more feeder corps to get younger kids involved in music. Kudos to Colts for maintaining theirs. G R A S S R O O T S. You have to start from the bottom and work your way up; DCI is going about this back-asswards.

Even though DCI has been pushing the activity as a "sport" for years, I agree with you that most will not consider it as one.  I didn't say that they wouldn't.  But, we will be on a sports network, hence my suggestion that appealing to the extreme sports minded TV watcher is not a bad thing. 

You certainly are making some broad and bold statements.  Outside of your own personal experiences, how can you claim that MOST people view marching music as "boring"?  How can you say that MOST teenage boys will do so?

Edited by manoloblahniksabre

30,000 people bought tickets, watched 12 corps perform, stood and cheered. As I recall not many left before the scores were announced. I would classify all of them as DC fans!

Okay, first and foremost.. I'm impressed that you have such a clear recollection of something that happened over three decades ago. I sometimes have difficulty remembering details of things that happened as recently as five years ago and I've got a pretty good memory.

Secondly, on what authority do you have the information of 30,000 PEOPLE BOUGHT TICKETS? Did YOU sell them all? Are you just using that number from the way-back machine as a watermark on which to base the failure of DCI today?

How do you know for sure that the number 30,000 from 1971 is any more or less reliable than a number from today's finals?

Honestly.. the rose colored way back machine glasses can come off, now.

Stef (FYI, "Steph" is another woman on this board.. we're very different, indeed. She may be inclined to believe you.)

That's a needless cheap shot.

Not really. And how dare you call Stef cheap! :P

edited to correct typo

Edited by ^Michael^

Maybe its time to fold up the tent and have one grand finale. Drum corps seems like trying to grow bananas in Alaska in this day and age.....

That's a needless cheap shot.

What makes it a cheap shot? Steph and I long ago came to a mutual respect for one another. We typically DON'T agree on much.. I do not agree with this guy.. therefore by power of deductive reasoning, it's appropriate for me to say of Steph, "She may be inclined to believe {agree with} you."

Nothing cheap or mean intended.

Stef