Thank you Rick Valenzuela

I just wanted to post a public thank you to Rick Valenzuela. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that you brought the true spirit of Vanguard to the corps. You are the embodiment of what I consider the Vanguard to be and I think Mr. Royer is looking down with pride on what you've done. I want to thank you for all that you've done for me. You were the one that gave me a chance to learn about how a corps works and without you, I never would have marched, now I want to be involved with corps for the rest of my life teaching and designing. Without my time with the Vanguard (because of you), I don't know where I'd be now, you changed my life. You've so brought many great things into my world and the drum corps world as a whole. Words can't explain how much I owe to you, but again, a heartfelt thank you for all that you've done and may God bless you in all your endevors. Thank you Rick.

My thanks can only be the thanks of a fan, but thank you so much for the work you've done! The Santa Clara of the Valenzuela era produced some of my favorite shows ever, including 2000, 2001 and 2003. Thank you for such a wonderful gift! :rolleyes:

Thanks Rick.

I doubt he is leaving the activity... I'm sure we will see them around.

~>conner

Thought I should mention on here that Rick was initially only an "interim director" for the Vanguard. That he remained for so long says a lot about his love for the organization.

He has a full-time job (NOT with drum corps) and a young family, so all of the time he's devoted to the Vanguard has been, at least to my knowledge, voluntary.

Rick was an age-out with me in 1989, and definitely a leader in the corps. He embodied all that the Vanguard was and is.

Thanks Rick! :)

Thought I should mention on here that Rick was initially only an "interim director" for the Vanguard.  That he remained for so long says a lot about his love for the organization.

He has a full-time job (NOT with drum corps) and a young family, so all of the time he's devoted to the Vanguard has been, at least to my knowledge, voluntary.

Rick was an age-out with me in 1989, and definitely a leader in the corps.  He embodied all that the Vanguard was and is.

Thanks Rick!  :)

PeeWee,

Rick's job wasn't voluntary. Come on, get real. Rick did get paid a salary but nowhere near what he should have been paid.

I went to college with Rick and have chatted with him a few times over the past few years. He's a class act that upholds the ideals of Gayle Royer and the Santa Clara Vanguard....and a great person to talk too.

I have no doubt Rick will find great success in all of his future endeavors!