Finals Placement as an Overall Goal

Maybe they should hire J.W. Koester, then.

:w/Stp:

Personally, I would think the stated goal should be "to produce the best corps and show on the field", and not necessarily shooting for any kind of a defined placement.

EVERY corps out there should be shooting for the DCI Title, and be shooting for it by producing the best corps possible.

A corps that shoots for #1 will probably do better than a corps that is just shooting for top 5.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

EVERY corps out there should be shooting for the DCI Title, and be shooting for it by producing the best corps possible. 

I disagree. It's important to set realistic and attainable goals, otherwise they are useless. It wouldn't do Spirit any good to set a goal to win DCI next season, when they most assuredly wouldn't accomplish that feat. It takes years to move up the ranks to win. It certainly doesn't happen overnight.

So...I have no idea if the administration of my former corps has an established goal each year, but if they do, I would bet that it would be to simply improve on the previous year's standings...not shoot for the gold.

Since you've only been marching since 2002, you may only know J.W. as the Division II/III contest coordinator, but he was Vanguard's director after Len Kruzecki, and before Rick Valezuela.

Oh no, I knew that. JW was/is great.

I was laughing at the person's blatant ignorance of my request that this thread stay away from the topic of Rick Valenzuela's resignation, or any potential candidates to replace him. At first, I thought they were being sarcastic. But then I realized they might be serious.

I understand that many of you are making a difference between the staff/administration's goals and the members goals. "It's ok for the staff/admin to have a certain placement range as a goal, but they members should not focus on that."

However, the members are going to know that their staff/admin's goal is to win. And if they don't win, will the corps members feel like they've let down their corps? Will they feel like failures?

I think they might.

Edited by Penguin

The management's goal isn't necessarily dictated to the corps members.

The members could read the director's job application.

They could overhear the staff speaking to one another.

Or they could just get the general feeling that the staff is pushing for a placement.

Unless the staff speaks in code and keeps it a strict secret from the membership, I think their goals become pretty clear at least by the end of the season.

And if they don't win, will the corps members feel like they've let down their corps?  Will they feel like failures?

I think they might.

I don't mean any personal offense by this, but...

You ask this question, when you have a photo in your sig that mocks a kid for falling down in the biggest show of the season? They didn't win that night, but if the experience is what makes your season a success, how are you helping that? I can't take you seriously when you say that you don't want the kids to feel like failures, when your actions completely contradict that statement.

I have a feeling that kid doesn't feel like he's a failure because he accidentally fell. I'm sure he's laughing about it. If anyone can prove me wrong, then I will humbly apologize for exacerbating his emotional wounds.

If the Blue Devils' corps director's responsibility was to "Ensure that kids don't fall over during the surprise ending on finals night", then this kid might feel like a failure. Just as if if the goal was to "ensure that [insert drum corps here] maintains its highly competitive placing with Drum Corps International by placing withing the top 12 at the annual DCI World Championship Finals", and the corps doesn't make the top 12, they might feel like they have failed, or have not filled their potential, or have not been successful.

Edited by Penguin

The members could read the director's job application.

No they can't. That is not public information. They can read the job description as its been printed here, so I assume that is what you are referring to.

They could overhear the staff speaking to one another.

It's not like the staff walk around the field or the gym talking about the "goals" of the board and/or management. Those kinds of things are spoken in design meetings, management meetings, etc...not while on the road or in open rehearsal.

Or they could just get the general feeling that the staff is pushing for a placement.

A feeling is not based on fact. A feeling is a presumption. Sure, staff can push for a placement based on how their recent competition has been going. But I highly doubt they'll be pushing for any particular placement simply because it might be directed in the job description of the Executive Director of the corps.

I have a feeling that kid doesn't feel like he's a failure because he accidentally fell.  I'm sure he's laughing about it.  If anyone can prove me wrong, then I will humbly apologize for exacerbating his emotional wounds.

He might not consider himself a "failure", but I'm sure he's not too happy about falling, much less laughing about it.

No one can prove you wrong except for that guy in the picture. No matter how you view it, it is in incredibly poor taste to use that picture in your sig. If you made a huge blunder at finals, would you want other folks mocking you?