ESPN2 Ratings

Something people could do to ensure ESPN likes us is to give them better ratings than they expect. Simply watching the broadcast, however, won't ensure higher ratings. The only people that really count are those with Neilson Boxes. So if you have a Neilson Box make sure you watch (or at least have your TV tuned to ESPN2). If you don't have a Neilson Box and know someone who does, make sure you go to their house to watch.

There are only about 5000 households with Neilson boxes which means that every 1 Neilson TV tuned to DCI will represent about 19800 TVs! (source: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question433.htm)

A friend of mine had one for two years, but doesn't have it anymore. She doesn't have cable though so it wouldn't matter if she still had it or not.

Well.... if you have Tivo, I'm sure they can pull that data up also. That would be helpful too. :P

Great idea, but where on earth can I find one of these Nielsen boxes?

Participants in Nielsen's national sample are randomly selected. Every U.S. household with a TV theoretically has a chance to be a part of the sample. The sample is also compared to the general population, and at times Nielsen calls thousands of households to see if their TV sets are on and who is watching.

They also do Dairies as a way to track viewers. My family has been chosen twice in ten years. They send this book in the mail and you write down everything you watch.

That's how Arbitron works for radio. My family was an arbitron family and their were diaries for each listener in the family to track time and the station we listend to for a week.