Suddenly successful corps

I can only think of a few "suddenly successful" corps and they happened a while back.

Spirit of Atlanta - 23rd to 4th in 2 yrs

Star - nonexistent to 10th in 1 yr, 1st after 7 yrs

Cadets (return) - 16th to 1st in 4 yrs

Bridgemen (return) - 26th to 6th in 2 yrs

Has anyone done better than these?  In the case of Spirit and Star it was a money/sponsorship thing.  With Bridgemen and Cadets the attraction was a "fun" thing.  I still remember Garfield knocking everyone's socks off (and us out of finals) in 1980.  They started with half a corps but the show was so fun they added people all along the tour and kicked butt at the end.  Seems either money or fun attracts members.  Good to have at least one of the two.  But, staff was probably the biggest factor for these corps. 

Spirit - Jim Ott

Star - a who's who of staff guys

Cadets - Zingali

Bridgemen - Hoffman and Delucia

Not trying to take away anything from these great feats, but 27th Lancers was in 20th in 1974 and then in 1975 went to 4th place...one year..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at 27th Lancers in 1974 coming in 20th only to rebound and come in 4th just a year later!  :worthy:

Lol, great minds think alike! We're were posting at the same time. :)

As for the Glassmen, Keep in mind that the 13th place in 96 came after an unprecedented 10 year run in which the corps improved in placement each year:

86-31st

87-30th

88-25th

89-23rd

90-18th

91-17th

92-13th

93-11th

94-10th

95-8th

And since that 13th place finish in 96 the corps has failed to make finals only once, so I would hardly call it a sudden success! :)

I agree. I would consider 1996 as "not a great year" for the Gmen. One year after Dan Acheson left them as director to work for DCI, and one year before Brian Hickman took over as director and moved them back into the top 12.

edit: dumb typo

Edited by madscout96

Although it is not absolutely necessary, it is almost a certainty that big jumps upward in placement from year to year are accompanied by additions to the staff of knowledgeable, experienced people who have "Been There and Done That."

Staff is KEY. The only problem, however, is when said staff members leave. Will the corps be able to sustain the success they had when the superstar instructor was there? Is there a good system in place to ensure that? Will the vacant position attract a new superstar instructor?

If the addition of knowledgeable people to the staff who have "been there and done that" is part of the reason for huge improvements in a corps in a short period of time, then it only goes that the SUBTRACTION of superstar instructors is part of the reason for the quick decline of a corps.

And speaking of corps that have jumped up quickly, how about the Colts??

1990 - 23rd

1991 - 22nd

1992 - 20th

1993 - 12th WELCOME TO SATURDAY NIGHT ALREADY!!

Just when they were about to celebrate making semis... hehe

edit: I accidently clicked submit too soon.

Edited by madscout96

I can only think of a few "suddenly successful" corps and they happened a while back.

Spirit of Atlanta - 23rd to 4th in 2 yrs

Star - nonexistent to 10th in 1 yr, 1st after 7 yrs

Cadets (return) - 16th to 1st in 4 yrs

Bridgemen (return) - 26th to 6th in 2 yrs

Blue Devils - 26th in '73 to 9th in '74

Edited by Brassop

I wouldn't say the Colts jumped quickly; they were a top 25 corps since 1982. Their program did get more sophisticated eventually, but it certainly wasn't Spirit/Suncoast sudden.

I agree with everyone who's said that good staff is key. Without it, Spirit and Star would have been Memphis Blues-not to slag off on MB3, cause they rocked, but Spirit and Star both had MVP staff people early on, like George Zingali, Dennis DeLucia, Pat Scollin, Bob Dubinski, Jim Ott and Tom Float, which bumped them up big time. Spirit also, I think, had geography on their side-the first corps in a long time to tap the wealth of band kids in the deep South who wanted to march at home.

"Going Back a Bit":

"Suddenly Successful":

The Santa Clara Vanguard should fit that description. The corps was "assembled" as the "Vanguard" in 1967. By 1970 they had beaten all three reigning National Champions (Racine Kilties VFW, Chicago Cavaliers Legion, and Casper Troopers World Open & CYO) and that year won the National Legion title.

In 1971 they were crowned VFW National Champions, and won the second and third DCI Championships in 1973 & 1974.

Elphaba

We should probably also consider Blue Stars a sudden success, although their rise came before the DCI era.

1965 - first year as a tiny parade corps

1966 - first year on the field, 18th at VFW

1967 - 10th at VFW

1972 - 2nd at DCI

0 to 10th in two years is pretty good!

I think you guys are missing some things important to all of your speculations. A lot does have to do with instructors, but the most important factor to me would be the director of any drum corps. The director needs to have that ability to select the right staff members. You mention all of these great corps' that have risen you have to look at the director.

Examples

Cadets- Hopkins

G-men- Brian Hickman

Madison-recently Sal Salas

SCV- Royer and JW keoster

Bluecoats- David glascow

Without a good director then you don't have the rest.