Hornline Kids on the Sidelines?

Hi you guys! I am the visually impaired kid that marches corps. I am now studying music in university. My major is trumpet performance and my minor is piano performance. I still play timpani alot though. I was just wondering, does DCI allow kids to play trumpet on the sidelines? I am interested in playing horn in corps this year.

Hi you guys! I am the visually impaired kid that marches corps. I am now studying music in university. My major is trumpet performance and my minor is piano performance. I still play timpani alot though. I was just wondering, does DCI allow kids to play trumpet on the sidelines? I am interested in playing horn in corps this year.

Hey! CourtOfHonorMember

I would suggest stick with being a Timpani Member for the Front Ensemble. Since you play it before and have probably more experience in that instrument then do you on the trumpet.

B) :worthy: :)

Allee,

Talk to a corps or two or more. If you truely want to play trumpet in a drum corps, then I'm sure there is something that can be worked out. If a man with only one arm can march in a division 1 corps, then I'm sure there are possibilities out there for other's who do not have the full capabilities that a majority of people have.

Again, talk to a few corps.

Best of luck :)

You would probably have to be one of the best trumpeters of the group your in. I don't think they could have you be featured for most of the show if you are not one of the soloist. The physics of your sound and stationary placement would have to be studied because you are going to be more easily heard from a crowd standpoint by playing on the front sideline...you will also have a tendence to be out of time compared to the ensemble behind you and your pitch may have the tendency to be sharper than the rest of the brassline. Just a few thoughts...I would stick with timpani for the marching season because you have experience and most likely would have more fun and be more relaxed.

The "soloist" part only has to do with being up front all the time. If you're just going to be playing ensemble parts, people will still look and wonder what you're doing down there. DCA corps seem to have an understanding -- that the big-hitter screamer soloist will stay parked in the pit just to play screamer parts & solos, sometimes while wearing a variation of the uniform. DCI doesn't really do that, though; BD had solos throughout their whole show in '93, for example, but they distracted from the rest of the corps and cost them in GE. Like I said, you probably won't see a horn player parked in a DCI pit unless they're injured.

If you're really going to play sopran.. I mean, trumpet... the balance is the only thing you'd have to address. Play in time by listening back (just like the pit is supposed to do), and play in tune by listening back, too.

If you have Maynard-like chops, check out a DCA corps. If not, and you're a good tympanist, I'd still suggest playing that instead -- tympani players can be hard to come by sometimes.

Considering you're a trumpet major, I would assume you've got at least some assemblance of chops. I guess I would say decide on the corps you're interested in participating with and speak with corps directors.

I would guess that just about any DII & DIII corps would work with you working back and forth between pit & trumpet soloing if you have the chops.

However, for timing reasons afformentioned, you would probably not be able to play from the pit for the whole show - I know in the past when injured players play from the sideline and all of a sudden don't have marching to focus on and can just watch the DM, timing gets off as well as balance because they're not playing "in" the ensemble.

You might be surprised even with some of the relatively "newer" Div. 1 corps who would be willing to let you work between soloing and pit percussion - again if you have the trumpet chops to warrant giving you solos.

However, for timing reasons afformentioned, you would probably not be able to play from the pit for the whole show - I know in the past when injured players play from the sideline and all of a sudden don't have marching to focus on and can just watch the DM, timing gets off as well as balance because they're not playing "in" the ensemble.

They're not supposed to watch the drum major, just like the rest of the pit isn't supposed to watch for the majority of the show. That will solve any timing problems.

Guaranteed.

Rule number ONE of pit playing: LISTEN BACK. If you watch, you will be early. That goes for soloists, too.

Rule number ONE of pit playing: LISTEN BACK.  If you watch, you will be early.

:angry: You speak with such wisdom. B)

Listening back is good for you...

Good luck with whatever you choose Allee!

Edited by SoonerFan04