The French Horns of Drum Corps

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ambassadorhorn,

Yes, I believe so, but check wth Chris. I gave him my only copy.

Regarding the tuba, Farkas relates that the streetcar conductor banned that instrument for taking up too much room to and from school, so he switched to the Horn.

Frank

I can back that story up. I saw him at the old Music Mart in Smyrna, GA, about 23 years ago at a horn clinic (myself and the other horn player in our college orchestra were allowed to "play hooky" from rehearsal that night to go up and see Mr. Farkas), and he told us about why he started on the horn. I thought that story was absolutely hilarious, and I could relate to it. I could just see myself as a sixth grader, having just joined band, trying to lug a tuba onto the bus. I vaguely remember him saying that he asked the driver what he could take on the streetcar (or bus, whichever it was), and the driver pointed to a kid with a french horn. I'm exceedingly glad that it was a french horn that was featured in Roger Whittaker's "The Last Farewell" that sparked my interest in the horn, rather than a tuba feature (plus, it would have sounded really strange :) ).

Edited by davidp

Where's Katherine The Great?????  hehehehehehehehehe

Thats Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtastic!!!!!!!

In the pre-mello era there were some outstanding French Horn sections. St. Kevin's of Dorchester, MA had one of the finest, heard to great advantage on the '64 Dream recording . The first notes of the show were a gliss to unison high A (with high mark time, no less).

Some excellent FH (bugle) soloists:

Hy Dreitzer - Skyliners

Pepe Notaro - Skyliners

John Sasso - Queensmen, Sunrisers

Buzzy Bergdoll - St. Kevin's

Steve Buglino - Floyd-Bennett Golden Eagles, Sunrisers

Scott Tiret - Blue Devils

Chris Nalls - Renegades

In the pre-mello era there were some outstanding French Horn sections. St. Kevin's of Dorchester, MA had one of the finest, heard to great advantage on the '64 Dream recording . The first notes of the show were a gliss to unison high A (with high mark time, no less).

Hy Dreitzer - Skyliners

Pepe Notaro - Skyliners

Chris Nalls - Renegades

Thank you, my son...

Hy Dreitzer - Skyliners

Pepe Notaro - Skyliners

Chris Nalls - Renegades

I'll add : 1975? Argonauts(Chris, help me out) and '80s Madison Scouts Ice Castles. Two great solos! :angry:

Wow - what an honor to be on that list! Well, if "Tic-Tic" Tiret is on there...

Yes - it was '75 Argonauts - that guy was off the hook.

Also - 1978 SCV - Randy Turner.

What a great discussion about French Horns! As primarily a midrange player, I was very interested.

I got the opportunity to play French Horn with Sky in 1982 and 1983. Hy Dreitzer brought them back after an absence, and they truly made a difference in the midrange and entire corps sound.

I have often used the French Horn in arranging, and was happy that when I worked with corps in England like Conquest Alliance (1986 - 1990) and Anchormen (1991 - 1995), that both of these corps did still use the French Horn. Conquest Alliance used FH during their Championships seasons and for another couple of years - we had some very talented French Horn players. Anchormen had French Horn players for awhile, and when I arranged their Robin Hood show in 1994 I asked them to bring some back to help get that sound. How funny it was when DCUK Finals were held in Nottingham, or all places!

In any event, I digress. I think that the use of French Horns has a lot to do with the music being written and the arranger, and the sound that a corps wants to create. Of course, availability of French Horn players or horn players who are willing to switch over, is important.

The guy from the General Butler Vagabonds, mid-to-late 1970's.... Pat Cavanaugh was his name, I think.... was a multiple winner of the French horn category at the DCI I&E show back then. Great player!

In more recent years (decades?), Danny Fitzpatrick (Yankee Rebels, Buccaneers, U.S. Marine D&B Corps, others) has been a kick-### French horn player. He won the DCA I&E French horn category several years ago playing Bill Waltrous' "Fourth-Floor Walkup"... which is an INSANE piece of music.

And didn't Madison Scouts march an all-French horn midrange section in 1975... no mellophones?

Fran