Current/recent Pop, Rock. Hip-hop songs

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My band sometimes will piece together a lot of different tunes into a larger piece. For example, the intro to our show uses I Want You Back by the Jackson 5, Vivrant Thing, Freedom Jazz Dance by Miles Davis, Gold Digger by Kanye West, and a dozen other hip-hop tunes I can't identify just because I haven't been immersed in that world as much as some of the other guys in the band. While the way we arrange it might not work well with a corps, I think there would be ways to do it that would work pretty well on the field.

The Woodlands HS (TX) is doing a show based on Hide and Seek and Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra.

It wasn't very good when I saw it a few weeks ago. :(

The Woodlands doing bad. I used to compete against them. Hide and Seek would sound really cool on the field...only winds, no percussion. Imagine the guard work you could perform to that.

I did the Simon and Garfunkel show in highschool my freshman year

Kodachrome

Late in the Evenning

Bridge Over Troubled Water

Keep the Customer Satisfied

It actually was a pretty fun show, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

The Woodlands doing bad. I used to compete against them. Hide and Seek would sound really cool on the field...only winds, no percussion. Imagine the guard work you could perform to that.

I agree. The problem is that most of their version Hide and Seek is just vocals over a microphone.

Imogen Heap + a vocoder > three girls around a microphone

Edited by Jayzer

MEDESKI, MARTIN AND WOOD...... nothing more need be said.

But since I can't shut up...Since we're already figuring in vocal accompanyment, WHY NOT RAP??? I think that if presented properly, it could open another avenue for fans to get into this cool thing we do. There are many musicians/artists that are producing wonderful music right now that can flourish in our artform. Many have already been mentioned. We dismiss them because we KNOW THEM. This is silly and self defeating. HOW MANY CORPS DID CHICAGO TOONS WHEN THEY WERE POPULAR. Granted, most popular music sucks, BUT NOT ALL OF IT. If we open our eyes (ears) and really listen...we may find that modern music DOES have a place in our playground.

Just my .03

MEDESKI, MARTIN AND WOOD...... nothing more need be said.

But since I can't shut up...Since we're already figuring in vocal accompanyment, WHY NOT RAP??? I think that if presented properly, it could open another avenue for fans to get into this cool thing we do. There are many musicians/artists that are producing wonderful music right now that can flourish in our artform. Many have already been mentioned. We dismiss them because we KNOW THEM. This is silly and self defeating. HOW MANY CORPS DID CHICAGO TOONS WHEN THEY WERE POPULAR. Granted, most popular music sucks, BUT NOT ALL OF IT. If we open our eyes (ears) and really listen...we may find that modern music DOES have a place in our playground.

Just my .03

Well, for starters, the current state of modern popular rap music is absolutely horrible, and the worst its been in years. There's plenty to find if you look hard enough (I was just thinking while listening to Prefuse 73 today, how radical and innovative a show based on it could be), especially within the realms of underground hip hop and whatnot, but rap certainly isn't the place to look for show designs. I don't want to see 135 people doing a shoulder lean.

I'm all about the Medeski, Martin, and Wood idea. Throw in some Bad Plus too.

I don't want to see 135 people doing a shoulder lean.

{Hopkins joke on} What if they did it through a door?{Hopkins joke off}

I'm all about the Medeski, Martin, and Wood idea. Throw in some Bad Plus too.

Now we're talking... We don't have to play "Our Brass arrangers thoughts on Bartok music found under his piano bench, Opus 36 1/2" <**> . This makes me crave a hot dog.

Here's a thought...Why haven't WE (drum corps, that is) thought about some of the Miles Davis/Gil Evans collaborations. :huh: They played other things than "concerto" (at least that's what I've heard...

I edited because I cant' spl

Edited by Gene Bennett3rd

But since I can't shut up...Since we're already figuring in vocal accompanyment, WHY NOT RAP???

westfield high school did a show entitled "metamorphasis" in 2002 featuring the music of hindemith. the theme they played went through different styles of play (classical, jazz, etc...), and in the last couple of minutes they introduced a pretty sweet beat and eventually a guy started rapping. thought his opening was funny, "UGH! westfield! san antonio boa! 2k2!" and ensuing lyrics :P i can link it if it's appropriate.

westfield high school did a show entitled "metamorphasis" in 2002 featuring the music of hindemith. the theme they played went through different styles of play (classical, jazz, etc...), and in the last couple of minutes they introduced a pretty sweet beat and eventually a guy started rapping. thought his opening was funny, "UGH! westfield! san antonio boa! 2k2!" and ensuing lyrics :P i can link it if it's appropriate.

.....are you serious?