How is Kiwanis doing

PeeJay

The biggest reason for the fall in membership in my opinion, is that people use KK to get dci div. 1 experience, so they can bolt to BAC or even Magic or wherever. Last year we lost upwards of 15 horn players and guard to magic, some within weeks of our move in.

How is this possible? Does DCI no longer enforce their corps hopping policy? if I remember right, you used to not be able to jump corps after a certain date without a signed release from the corps director clearing you from doing so.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all about gettin people to sign those contract forms I guess. I'm gonna assume those people didnt sign their form. And I agree with Nate, it is all about the experience and people are realizing that the KK experience is pretty hard to beat. And Hopefully we can use that to up the membership. And if not, than we'll continue the way it's been, and really, thats not such a bad thing either. Its a wonderful div 1 corps, and while winning may not be in the plans in the next 2 years, its been a fantastic way to better myself as a musician and person for going on 4 years now.

Is it true that Magic accepted people from KK during move in time of year? Any corps I was involved with would not do this, regardless of any contract being signed, without approval of both corps directors. This may happen with one or two for personal reasons, but 15?

FYI -

The Magic did NOT take members at spring training. Any member that signed a contract with Kiwanis Kavaliers and owed them money was released by paying what they owed. I know, I paid the Kavaliers at Night of Magic $500.00 out of my own pocket to satisfy any and all debt owed thus getting a release from the Kavaliers.

Nate, thanks for the kind words......it was my pleasure!

JVN

Yes, it was all legal as far as I know. I think it was kinda crappy of some of the kids, especially some of them that were KK vets, but they thought they had a better chance with Magic I guess. I by no means meant anything against Magic if it was interpreted that way.

FYI -

The Magic did NOT take members at spring training. Any member that signed a contract with Kiwanis Kavaliers and owed them money was released by paying what they owed. I know, I paid the Kavaliers at Night of Magic $500.00 out of my own pocket to satisfy any and all debt owed thus getting a release from the Kavaliers.

Nate, thanks for the kind words......it was my pleasure!

JVN

It seems really weird to me that the corps director from another corps would pay "out of his own pocket" money that a member owes. It certainly sounds odd to me. Why would you want to even touch such "baggage" and if you do, live with the consequences and perception of something less than honest.

I marched Thunder in 2001 and I know that along with me, most of the members that went to KK were on board because of the staff. Everyone had a great time marching with Jimmy and friends and when he/they parted from KK most went with. Thats probably the biggest reason in the membership drop since 2002...just people going where their prefered staff goes.

-Ryan Seligman

Kiwanis should be fine for the 2006 season so there shouldnt be anything to worry about and plus they never post anything about next season that soon anyways peace out.

Mike,

Don't make more out of it then there is. The BOD of Magic was not aware of this former KK member having an outstanding debt. The Magic organization was also not prepared to pay these addtional costs.

Choices:

a) March a blank late in the game

B) Make this person sit home all summer because they don't have the funds to cover all fees and was not responsible 15 year old.

c) Pay the amount requested by Doug and given to Doug by myself in order to release this person.

MY choice was C. The member marched and had a great time, the Kavaliers got paid and Magic didn't have to dig for addional funds. What's the problem with that??? Honesty has nothing to do with it, its called generosity.

End of subject, god bless.

JVN