Buddy had Channel One Suite and other great tunes

Woody had some good stuff too

McConnell had TO

I am going with Kenton

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pride of Cinncinati did a Woody Herman chart in the 80's but I can't remember the title...anyone??

I'm another Basie fanatic and I believe he has been largely overlooked by drum corps. Maybe someone has done "April in Paris" but without doing the research I can't remember for sure. How about some corps with a tight sop line doing "The Kid from Red Bank"?

Buddy's stuff just seems so well suited to corps and I'd love to hear an arrangement of the Buddy/Sammy Davis "Come Back to Me".

There again I think maybe some Senior corps did that one years ago. Anyone know for sure?

OOOOHHH! Wait a minute!!!! Just remembered a piece that would be fantastic for a corps. The late afro-cuban Mario Bauza jazz orchestra has a piece called Cubauza. This thing is so hot that if Madison did it everyone would forget about Malaguena. Well maybe not but I'm telling you this piece is friggin' ridiculous. It's on an album called 944 Columbus on the Messidor label recorded in 1993. Check it out if you can find a copy.

Edited by PJS53

Dizzy Gillespie had a pretty cool big band. And definately have to add Ellington to the list....and Don Ellis!

That cut you were mentioning sounds awesome...I'm gonna look for it right now!

OOOOHHH! Wait a minute!!!! Just remembered a piece that would be fantastic for a corps. The late afro-cuban Mario Bauza jazz orchestra has a piece called Cubauza. This thing is so hot that if Madison did it everyone would forget about Malaguena. Well maybe not but I'm telling you this piece is friggin' ridiculous. It's on an album called 944 Columbus on the Messidor label recorded in 1993. Check it out if you can find a copy.

Wow.....Can't decide between Buddy Rich and Stan Kenton. Guess I'll have to spend the rest of the night doing research on my sound system! b**bs

who wrote the song "Loud Noise"

they gets my vote.

~>conner