• Buddy Rich
    • Stan Kenton
    • Woody Herman
    • Rob McConnell
    • Other

who wrote the song "Loud Noise"

they gets my vote.

~>conner

Do you mean "Big Noise" perhaps as in "Big Noise from Winnetka"? If so that was written by Bob Haggart and made popular by the Bob Crosby band. The original featured Bob on bass and Ray Bauduc playing drums. During the "solo" Ray would play his sticks on the bass strings while Bob fingered the notes. Slips my mind who did the whistling part but it sure is a cool old standard.

Edited by PJS53

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean "Big Noise" perhaps as in "Big Noise from Winnetka"? If so that was written by Bob Haggart and made popular by the Bob Crosby band. The original featured Bob on bass and Ray Bauduc playing drums. During the "solo" Ray would play his sticks on the bass strings while Bob fingered the notes. Slips my mind who did the whistling part but it sure is a cool old standard.

We played it in 1980. The entire horn line, and (I think), guard provided the whistling part,

and snapped their fingers a la the original, as the Contras provided the bass line.

Larry Kirschner threw in a little 12/8 part in the middle.

Pete, you are correct about the original. Bette Midler also recorded a version in the late 70's.

It was a fun tune, and we added the "Andrews Sisters" schtick, as well.

Larry put another big band tag on the end of that production, "The Dipsy Doodle".

I'm not sure if "Big Noise from Winnetka" is the song that Conner is referring to. (???)

OOOOHHH! Wait a minute!!!! Just remembered a piece that would be fantastic for a corps. The late afro-cuban Mario Bauza jazz orchestra has a piece called Cubauza. This thing is so hot that if Madison did it everyone would forget about Malaguena. Well maybe not but I'm telling you this piece is friggin' ridiculous. It's on an album called 944 Columbus on the Messidor label recorded in 1993. Check it out if you can find a copy.

It just dawned on me that very few corps have done any Latin Jazz pieces, at least IMO....I would love to hear Tito Puente, or Poncho Sanchez....just for a change of pace!

Edited by felixh

who wrote the song "Loud Noise"

they gets my vote.

~>conner

Loud Noise? Or did you mean Big Noise from Winnetka?"

It just dawned on me that very few corps have done any Latin Jazz pieces, at least IMO....I would love to hear Tito Puente, or Poncho Sanchez....just for a change of pace!

Better listen to some Rochester Crusaders from a few years ago. We did Stan Kenton, Arturo Sandoval and...well...Santanna.

Thought Bob hisself did the whistling but it's been a long time since I looked at that record cover.

Records.... Those flat round things with a itty bitty hole in the middle...

:P

it could be Big Noise.

I just remember hearing it at Crowns encore in Firstbeat, and being blown away.

~>conner

I remember back in the early 80's a good friend of mine spent an evening at "The Jazz Workshop" which was a mainstream for jazz in the Boston area. One evening, mid week, Stan Kenton was appearing.

Needless to say we were there with bells on! Approx. 20 people showed up for the show. The room held approx. 250 people, so it was a small venue.

Kenton put on a show that night to end all shows, just like his "Concerto to end all Concertos"!!!

Peter Esrkine was on drums, Lin Biviano on lead trumpet (also played with Maynard and had his own band)

and did they cook that night. Stan, played some nice solo pieces that evening, and we will never forget it.

I was also privliged to meet and see Duke Ellington, Count Basie back in the 60's. A was friendly with this girl who's brother owned a night club on the South Shore here in Boston, and he would bring the "Big Bands" in on a Monday night during the Summer, and he would pack the place. Still have autograph albums of the

"Duke, and the Count"!

Maynard Fergerson is coming to Scullers Jazz Club in Boston on November 10, 2005. Two Shows!!

Tix are $35.00, but they have a special where you can have dinner before hand, and you get Prime sitting for the concert, and free parking for $70.00. We have done this before with Chuck Mangione, and Tower of Power and it is well worth it. So anybody in the Boston are who wants to see MF look into it.

Does anybody know how old MF is? I remember seeing him in the 60's at the Holiday Inn in Peabody, and of course he played with the great Kenton.

CODI