School starts after Labor Day

Yesterday there was a law passed by Congress and the Governor of Michigan that requires public schools to start their years after Labor Day. The reason for this is economical, to allow Michiganders to go up north a little while longer, as the economy in Northern Michigan and in the U.P. depends on tourism. I'm not sure what it will do to when school years will END, but this might mean that band camps start a little bit later than usual, which MIGHT be a good thing for drum corps as more students might be able to march now. Here's to hoping, anyway...

Some marching bands around here (Plymouth-Canton) will just use the extra week or two for practice. :)

heheh...

Actually, as an alumnus of the Plymouth-Canton Educational Park (and of course, it's relative MB), this is probably more of a complication for students wanting to do drum corps than anything. In 2005, it would have been perfectly possible to move from drum corps to marching band without missing much summertime rehearsal, and none of band camp; in fact, there were even a couple kids who did it. (I just graduated in June.)

The bigger problem is that Michigan schools let out so late in the summer. From Freshmen-Juniors, school didn't let out until June 16 this year. I had to take my finals early, and even then, I missed a week and a half of move-ins with my corps. This is keeping in mind that the finals for seniors are given before those for underclassmen, in addition to my taking them earlier than that.

As far as Plymouth's rehearsal time goes...yeah...

Edited by HoltonH178

They'll spend an extra two weeks pluggin in their synths. :) Hey, when are cadet auditions?

Actually the Plymouth electronics are not as bad as they use to be....no flashing signs recently!!!! :sshh: :blink:

The bigger problem is that Michigan schools let out so late in the summer. From Freshmen-Juniors, school didn't let out until June 16 this year. I had to take my finals early, and even then, I missed a week and a half of move-ins with my corps. This is keeping in mind that the finals for seniors are given before those for underclassmen, in addition to my taking them earlier than that.

That's what I'm afraid of, that because of the later start to the school year, we'll also have a later finish as well. But I'm thinking that it's better to miss a little bit of death camp or everydays or move ins or whatever you call them then to miss DCI week (and thus the whole season!)

Edited by madscout96

Actually the Plymouth electronics are not as bad as they use to be....no flashing signs recently!!!! :sshh: :blink:

Do you remember when they practically had an entire theatre troop out there running probably a dozen or so wireless mikes through a mixing board for their JCS show. Sometime back around '93 or so. Now that show had a ton of electronics.