DCI Finals CD

Phantom and SCV have never ceased to amaze me in their show selections and compilation.

But the Cadets 2005 could possibly reign as my favorite show of all time.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was talking in terms of power and conveying the emotion, which they still did wonderfully.

In regards to this, I definitely agree.

Technically speaking, yeah intonation was questionable at parts, we all know that. Still didn't take away from the overall scope of the show and the sound.

For me, intonation/overblowing to extreme extents does take away from sound.

We probably have the same opinion on the hornline, but just aren't phrasing it the same way.

I'm wondering if someone can't help me understand the concept of music. There seems to be a lot of talk regarding volume, regarding the difficulty of certain passages, regarding the amount of notes played in any section's book. Is that, I ask, what making music is about?

Sure, of course there are moments where the hornline's got to give it up, volume-wise; I am not saying they don't. Maybe I am way off base, but I prefer to listen to the clarity of what's happening on the field musically; how does the corps get the idea across in the clearest way possible. Also, what about style? What about the direction of the phrase? What about the purpose of each note, articulation, dynamic? Whatever happened to playing so soft that it forces the audience to whisper for fear that they will forever be remembered on the DCI Finals CD as "that guy" who was rudely talking while the corps was playing sooo soft that you could hear him?

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that making music is more important than measuring decibels.

bawker, if a lot of people think something... it doesn't mean that it's right. and when I say that loud is bad, I mean that specific loud (that is tipical of a lot of corps) that is completely out of control and that makes the hornline sound like a chainsaw. and it's not a matter of beeing a cavies fan... bluecoats and blue knights are doing a really good job too.

soprano3, I absolutely agree... I still remember listening to 02 cavaliers during the ballad... that was an amazing moment... a drum corps wispering like that... that was good!

"making music is more important than measuring decibels"

can we write this on the home page of this site? this belongs to the holy bible of music.

Well yeah, Phantom's hornline has been stellar, especially since 03. Of course people still feel the need to come in and crap on them for whatever reason.

I'm sorry, but I rarely see people crap on Phantom's hornline around here. I think they're quite favored on this forum...and they deserve it.

Er......as much as I enjoyed it, that was still definitely a very flawed hornline. There are people who, even after hearing the top 3 from that year, still feel that Phantom should have won brass. This is admittedly off topic, because the post was about '05, but I do feel that Phantom 2003 was one of the most overrated hornlines of the past decade or so. Emotional, powerful show (and yes, I love it), but their hornline has matured drastically over the 2 years since.

Phantom 2005 was indeed outstanding though. I don't think that high brass would have been too unreasonable for them to expect (especially because their trumpets had a much better ensemble sound than Cadets). 2004 was a great line too....I don't feel as if enough people have acknowledged the step up they made in quality after 2003.

Jerod I am totally gonna have to agree with you on Phantom 03. They were not a bad hornline, but I also personally think they were overrated. I don't think they should have won brass. I think they put together a very emotional show that year, and the players played their hearts out, I MEAN PLAYED THEIR HEARTS OUT. But they have truly matured like WHOA the past two years. When I saw the finals broadcast I told my phantom friend, I thought your hornline this year has prolly been one of the best hornlines I have ever heared. I think they should have won high brass this year. Definatley, they had such a rich and pure sound. AMAZING SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm wondering if someone can't help me understand the concept of music. There seems to be a lot of talk regarding volume, regarding the difficulty of certain passages, regarding the amount of notes played in any section's book. Is that, I ask, what making music is about?

Sure, of course there are moments where the hornline's got to give it up, volume-wise; I am not saying they don't. Maybe I am way off base, but I prefer to listen to the clarity of what's happening on the field musically; how does the corps get the idea across in the clearest way possible. Also, what about style? What about the direction of the phrase? What about the purpose of each note, articulation, dynamic? Whatever happened to playing so soft that it forces the audience to whisper for fear that they will forever be remembered on the DCI Finals CD as "that guy" who was rudely talking while the corps was playing sooo soft that you could hear him?

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me that making music is more important than measuring decibels.

I agree with ALL of that..and to me it's worth about 60% of the experience. I want the other

40% to blow me away. It just seemed to me that cadets (and mosty others)volume knob didn't go past 7 this year.

Jerod I am totally gonna have to agree with you on Phantom 03. They were not a bad hornline, but I also personally think they were overrated. I don't think they should have won brass. I think they put together a very emotional show that year, and the players played their hearts out, I MEAN PLAYED THEIR HEARTS OUT. But they have truly matured like WHOA the past two years. When I saw the finals broadcast I told my phantom friend, I thought your hornline this year has prolly been one of the best hornlines I have ever heared. I think they should have won high brass this year. Definatley, they had such a rich and pure sound. AMAZING SIMPLY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha, even thought its in every medium of communication I have with you, you still keep spelling my name wrong. :P

I think I would have given them a slight edge in brass this year, personally.