Carolina Crown this year was the closest thing we've he9ard to G b

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did love that lush wonderful sound their horn line put out, but I attribute that to their talent and wonderful instructors they had! I especially LOVED the mellophone line! But I would say for me it would be a tie between them and Phantom as far as your topic question! :)

Why did their hornline sound like a brassline made up of G bugles to you? It sounded to me like a good hornline playing on Bb's....I don't see the connection to a G hornline.

The only real difference I've noticed between Bb horns and G horns. Intonation is alot more controlable on Bb horns(depending on brand). G horns tend to carry a darker sound. You really can'y tell who's playing on G or Bb from sitting in the stands. When I listen to a G hornline compared to a Bb line... Big difference Mello are more dominant with G hornline.

Bb Hornlines that can compare to a good G hornline:

Phantom

Blue Knights

Crown

Maybe it's the king horns.

You really can'y tell who's playing on G or Bb from sitting in the stands. When I listen to a G hornline compared to a Bb line

Yes you can, or at least you could. This is meant as no disrespect to any corps, but all of the top corps have made the switch to Bb, the only corps still using G are in the lower end of Division I and Division II/III. If you'd ever been able to see BD, Phantom, Madison, Cadets or any of the other top corps on G's you'd be able to tell the difference.

You can't really compare a 64 person brass line on Bb's to a 35-40 person hornline on G's.

Yes you can, or at least you could. This is meant as no disrespect to any corps, but all of the top corps have made the switch to Bb, the only corps still using G are in the lower end of Division I and Division II/III. If you'd ever been able to see BD, Phantom, Madison, Cadets or any of the other top corps on G's you'd be able to tell the difference.

You can't really compare a 64 person brass line on Bb's to a 35-40 person hornline on G's.

I've played on both G and Bb and the two major differences are key, intonation (depending on brand)

What do you think the differences are?

Not bashing you or anything, but the horn doesn't make the corps. At first I thought Madison wouldn't be Madison anymore after the change, but they're still Madison. And Cavies and Phantom still carry the same rich tone they had when they playted G horns

I've played on both G and Bb and the two major differences are key, intonation (depending on brand)

Not bashing you or anything, but the horn doesn't make the corps. At first I thought Madison wouldn't be Madison anymore after the change, but they're still Madison. And Cavies and Phantom still carry the same rich tone they had when they playted G horns

I don't think the tone is the same, it's getting better, but not quite there yet. Cavies 2001 and BD 2004 are two shows that immediatley come to mind as being very top heavy and hollow sounding, something I (and others) have noticed with Bb lines. So far, SCV 2004 is my favourite Bb drum corps show, but it still doesn't compare to the power of SCV 2000, Phantom 1996, Madison 1995, 96, 97.

Could it also be due to a changing philosophy in brass performanceand not just a change in instrumentation? Maybe.

IMO (and I've said it a bunch of times now :))Bb brass lines lack that dark rich sound quality of G brass lines, and are noticably quieter.

I don't think the tone is the same, it's getting better, but not quite there yet. Cavies 2001 and BD 2004 are two shows that immediatley come to mind as being very top heavy and hollow sounding, something I (and others) have noticed with Bb lines. So far, SCV 2004 is my favourite Bb drum corps show, but it still doesn't compare to the power of SCV 2000, Phantom 1996, Madison 1995, 96, 97.

Could it also be due to a changing philosophy in brass performanceand not just a change in instrumentation? Maybe.

IMO (and I've said it a bunch of times now :))Bb brass lines lack that dark rich sound quality of G brass lines, and are noticably quieter.

I've noticed that every brand of Bb horns can carry a different tone depending on the music and the players. BD is always top heavy.

04 SCV good choice.... I think 02 Cavies and Phantom 03-05 can be in that category.

For awhile I thought that Bb horns didn't produce as much sound as G horns. So many lines have proved that wrong. Madison can still push the stadium back, and watchih Crown front row with leave your ears ringing.