Questions about the 2002 Scouts

Actually, I think they lost points because they were, you know, dirty. Very dirty. Like, seriously, REALLY dirty.

Yes they did. If you read my first post I say that Madison didn't make it because they did not deserve to. That was not the sarcastic part. The blame Scott Stewart part was the sarcastic part, even though there is truth to that. Scouts did not design shows to score points with judges, and they did not. Through the '90s it became evident to the competitive prospective member, that if you want to win, do not go to Madison. Their shows were not designed to win, despite being the crowd favorites everywhere they went. As a result, the talent level dropped as well as their scores and placements. The BoD decided that designing shows for judges needed to be a priority and made the changes they deemed necessary.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

News flash -- shows can be both crowd pleasing and still rack up points on the sheets. The Scouts placed poorly in those years because their performance was poor (relative to the rest of the corps). At least half the shows that beat them in '02, I thought, were more entertaining and connected better with the crowd than Madison did. It wasn't a great show and it wasn't performed all that well. Period.

edit: and for that matter, the Madison Scouts of the past three seasons have, IMHO, been a lot more entertaining that the Scouts of '00 - '02, and they've done better competitively. What a conundrum! Doesn't that blow the "you can't be both entertaining and competitive" theory out of the water right there?

Edited by Orpheus

They didn't make Finals in '02 because they didn't deserve to. As pointed out earlier, their shows were designed for paying ticket holders not paid judges. That was Scott Stewart's fault. You can blame him for wanting to excite audiences instead of judges.

Too bad one design cannot serve both purposes.

I disagree. I can Think of many shows that were pleasing to the crowd, and to the judges as well.

~>conner

if i remember correctly the guard consistantly scored very low, that's what i look at when asking why they missed finals.

I disagree. I can Think of many shows that were pleasing to the crowd, and to the judges as well.

~>conner

says the person with a glassmen avatar and a glassmen picture in his sig.

as far as scouts from 03-05 are concerned... i can buy that 03 was more entertaining than 02, but 04 and 05 bored me beyond belief. the only real entertaining part of either of those shows was the end of scouts 04. i thought 00-02 were much more entertaining and connected with the audience more than 04 or 05. no one went crazy for scouts this year like they did in 01 -- especially at allentown, where the fans went absolutely nuts and then booed like crazy when they announced scouts' placement. i think those shows were much more connective.

says the person with a glassmen avatar and a glassmen picture in his sig.

sorry, but I dont really see what pictures my have to do with entertaining shows, or good scoring shows.

have you not watched MAdison 95, or Phantom 2003? Phantom 1996? All of those shows, PLUS more were good to the fans (obviously) and good to the judges.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

i just find it ironic that an obvious glassmen fan is talking about crowd entertainment. you know, because the glassmen have a reputation for not being the most entertaining corps?

Edited by TTitans909

i just find it ironic that an obvious glassmen fan is talking about crowd entertainment. you know, because the glassmen have a reputation for not being the most entertaining corps?

And that's solely in the opinion of the viewer.

I like the Glassmen, but that doesn't mean I dont know what a good show is, and what isn't. My views can be different than some, because I do find most Glassmen shows very entertaining.

like I said, it's all opinion.

~>conner

Edited by PhantomR

<**>

oh come on... your corps even made shirts saying "we take the G out of borinBb". the glassmen have never been the most crowd-pleasing corps ever. and i understand that just because you like the glassmen doesn't mean you don't know what an entertaining show is. i'm just saying, it came off as funny considering the reputation the glassmen have as usually not being the most crowd-pleasing corps. geez, i didn't even say that i thought the glassmen were boring.

Edited by TTitans909