Belleville Black Knights

Black Knights were a long standing competitor in the Illinois scene and also at national competitions. I marched in 73, which was the year that the Knights got pay back on the Cavaliers for years of sitting in the back seat at state and local contests. They did a great arrangement of Crown Imperial that still sticks out in my mind. Not sure what happened to them after the early 70's but like a few other good corps (Purple Lancers, Bleu Raeders for example) seemed like their fame on a national level was unfortunately short lived.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the coolest uniforms ever! Especially the helmets!!!

Without a doubt, the coolest most "Bad-A##" uniform to ever take the field!bellevill74-43.jpg

I remember seeing Black Knights do an NFL halftime show. I was watching TV in the kitchen back in 73 or 74 and I got all excited because there was a drum corps, a top 12 corps doing an NFL halftime on TV.

I remember seeing Black Knights do an NFL halftime show. I was watching TV in the kitchen back in 73 or 74 and I got all excited because there was a drum corps, a top 12 corps doing an NFL halftime on TV.

Yep the halftime of a St Louis Cards game. Me too. pretty cool to see them.

THey were prety awesome in 74 but their earlier Chase tunes always felt really good. I always thought it was a typical case of an all male corps getting girls and immediately going in the Crapper. SOme of their guard guy s came north to Cavaliers, the Raisins and the Bells, 2 sets of brothers both marched and became very good Cavaliers who have remained active for many years.

PJS ...surprised you did not remember them....they were th e ones always shaking the manure off their shoes.

. SOme of their guard guy s came north to Cavaliers, the Raisins and the Bells, 2 sets of brothers both marched and became very good Cavaliers who have remained active for many years.

PJS ...surprised you did not remember them....they were th e ones always shaking the manure off their shoes.

I remember them. Still in touch with Craig Rasin from time to time. I didn't want to bring up the manure thing. Kind of long standing joke between Cavs & Black Knights. Don't think the Knights thought it was that funny. I'll save that stuff for the Cavalier alumni board. :sshh:

Yep the halftime of a St Louis Cards game. Me too. pretty cool to see them.

THey were prety awesome in 74 but their earlier Chase tunes always felt really good. I always thought it was a typical case of an all male corps getting girls and immediately going in the Crapper. SOme of their guard guy s came north to Cavaliers, the Raisins and the Bells, 2 sets of brothers both marched and became very good Cavaliers who have remained active for many years.

Dave Bell, Don & Craig Raisin are all great guys! As for "shaking the manure off their shoes"... well, after all the Cavaliers did consider us as farmers from southern Illinois.

Bellville Black Knights:

A very strong Mid West junior corps in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Perenial finalist at VFW Nationals finishing as high as "fifth" in 1961.

Managed to defeat, at one time or another in that era all of the national contenders. Onr of the first drum corps to perform an "Original" piece of music, their "Concert piece", "Sherwood Forest", which was named after their director the late Mr Forest Cresson.

They are greatly missed.

Elphaba

Bellville Black Knights:

A very strong Mid West junior corps in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Perenial finalist at VFW Nationals finishing as high as "fifth" in 1961.

Managed to defeat, at one time or another in that era all of the national contenders. Onr of the first drum corps to perform an "Original" piece of music, their "Concert piece", "Sherwood Forest", which was named after their director the late Mr Forest Cresson.

They are greatly missed.

Elphaba

Sorry to damage a popular myth, but "Sherwood's Forrest" was a popular big band hit by Bobby Sherwood.

But for inquiring minds, if the corps had exploded as we hoped rather than imploded in 1979, we had planned on doing a re-make in 1980.