Cymbal Lines

You know it's working for you when you hear visual and brass as well as percussion judges appreciating the cymbal line.

Then it works.

Why Dave......where would such a thing as which you spoke ever happen?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We talk about the judges sheets in other threads and about how the last box is usually "always" or "setting new standards". When is the bar going to be raised higher for even basic crash sound and uniformity like Steve said? There are too many judges and instructors out there that think if they see four people with cymbals that it's automatically "good uniformity of technique cymbals". "Nice phrase ending cymbals". We don't even have a standard about what is fundamental from line to line, and that is a little sad. Everyone knows what a good crash and bad crash is, so lets hold ourselves to at least that standard.

Then we can work from there. The education of instructors is definitely something that needs to happen as well...

In order for the cymbal line to be effective and successful, it needs to be treated as a legitimate section and approached in that fashion.

Just sticking them on the end of the line and giving them crashes at the end of the song will not get the most bang for your buck for the amount of spots utilized.

In a full-sized corps, marching spots are a commodity. Spots are swapped from each section to get the best lineup. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

So if you are going to use them, then please use them.

The visual and musical value is immense if they are utilized effectively.

I am just a brass guy, but I know that there are more cymbal techniques than just a ride or crash.

Look at this, this is almost turing into a good discussion, lets not stop here, what are some things qualitly lines should have? Split part ability, great crash tone, uniform look, Visuals out the rear end, a very high vocabulary?

I go with a combo of all these, that's what changes a good cymbal line into a great one

Look at this, this is almost turing into a good discussion, lets not stop here, what are some things qualitly lines should have? Split part ability, great crash tone, uniform look, Visuals out the rear end, a very high vocabulary?

I go with a combo of all these, that's what changes a good cymbal line into a great one

I agree with all of this!

Another thing that makes a difference is when all the cymbal players want to be there. I marched cymbals in college and in junior corps and there were some lines where we had guys that didn't make the instrument they REALLY wanted to play. Now, some jumped into the cymbal line and decided to make the best of it and were some of the best cymbal players I've known....others, not so much. If you can get a group enthusiastic about all the fun stuff plates can do, it shows!

Respect.....nothing crushes a cymbal line faster than staff or corps members that consider you an afterthought. Write real parts for cymbals. Write them into the drill. Cymbals aren't just a bunch of people that don't have enough talent to do anything else. Hold your cymbal line to a high standard and they will meet it.

And, no, I'm not bitter! :peek:

Stephanie

Sex Cymbal 1988-1992

Yes, these cymbal lines used to be the people who couldn't really fill any other rank.....well, some corps still do this.

Check out the Buccs line for the past few years (and further back). They not only play, they move like lightning, and are flashier than heck. Jr. corps wise you will always see that kind of movement, but its rare in Sr. corps. Buccs just know how to do it.

In the past, Westshoremen had a wild line too.

I too am just a horn man, but I don't think I could handle what the cymbal players are doing out there (Buccs). I'll stick to the the horn!!

Congrats to the Buccs cymbals!!

I agree with all said here. I also agree that instructors have to start with the basics and then challenge their members to learn more. I think it will start happening with more experienced guys getting in front of lines in the upcoming years in DCA. Then good lines will become great, and the real education will begin. The only reason cymbal lines are cut from corps is because people are lazy. Let's stop that from happening.

And, no, I'm not bitter! :peek:

Stephanie

Sex Cymbal 1988-1992

and you don't sound bitter at all...................... :peek:

PS I taught the cymbals at bluecoats in 2000 and 2001

thanks for the kind words topsops, I've been teaching bucs cymbal line for the past couple of years 2003-2005. I also taught them in 98 and 99. And I also marched with shore in 97. Glad to hear people appreciate things that I've done in the past. Helps me get through some of those days when you wonder if anyone is seeing the effort your giving.