1974 Muchachos

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you're listening to the Ithaca finals recording, I think I can shed a little light on the crowd reaction.

The entire back stands was filled with kids from corps that did not make finals, most of them from Eastern corps.

There had been a bit of a "demonstration" of solidarity earlier involving Boston, Cadets, Beverly Cardinals and a few others when the hornlines combined and played a few massive chords together back at the housing site. Afterwards, all marched up the hill together to the stadium, causing a bit of a traffic jam, and sat together specifically to cheer the Muchachos whom they saw as the top representative for the "East" (notwithstanding the fact that the Auburn Purple Lancers were also in the mix). Jeff, naturally was their hero.

When the Muchachos entered the field, Don Polzo, one of my Cadets soloists, stood and played the Bullfight Call from the stands. The house erupted. Kievit later told me it was one of the most emotional moments of his career and really energized the corps. That crowd applauded, stomped for, whistled at and generally cheered for everything the Muchs did that night.

Given that the microphones were oriented towards the field, hence the back sideline crowd, it's not surprising that their reactions sound impressive.

Footnote: After the Muchachos performed, most of the East Coast kids simply got up and left the stadium, following them out to the parking lot. That kind of regional solidarity is unlikely today. I would think.

Footnote: After the Muchachos performed, most of the East Coast kids simply got up and left the stadium, following them out to the parking lot. That kind of regional solidarity is unlikely today. I would think.

Sigh, just another neat thing about old drum corps that probably will never be seen again.

I notice that Geneva played lead sop in the Auburn Purple Lancers in 1974. What a magnificent hornline! Book by Corky Fabrizio, tech by Jerry Kelsey, if I'm not mistaken. Just outstanding.

You have your facts straight, Ironlips. Thanks for the kind words. It was a great final year for me in the activity. The icing on the cake! I have lots of great memories. If you have not read it, check out my reminiscence of the 1974 season at http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=9...9d-6a70d69dbf5a

Congratulations to you and Ace on your Hall of Fame honors and your recent DCA I&E exploits. Ken always speaks highly of you.

That's a fine piece of writing about a very exciting season. The race in the East was for second position behind the Muchachos. One of my colleagues on Garfield's '74 staff remarked that he was relieved we had inched past the Purple Lancers at DCI East with only 2 weeks left in the season. We figured there would be 2 easten corps in finals, Muchachos and "the corps to be named later".

As someone who was just beginning to learn arranging techniques, I paid close attention to the work of people like Dreitzer, Sasso, Norman, Kerchner and Corky Fabrizio. I admired "real" musicians like Jerry Kelsey who had studied theory formally while I scuffled along by trial and error. It was clear to me that Auburn had the superior musical book, and that if those notes ever lined up they would move past us with alacrity.

A week later, they bested Garfield by half a tenth. By DCI prelims, the spread had widened. Alacrity had arrived.

Edited by ironlips

When the Muchachos entered the field, Don Polzo, one of my Cadets soloists, stood and played the Bullfight Call from the stands.

Don and I were from the same town in NJ...Livingston....we were very good friends growing up. We both marched in the Livingston Imperial Guardsmen Garden State corps...Don was our solist there too...taught by Bucky Swan. He went to Garfield after the 68 season, along with a bunch of Guardsmen, and I went after 69.

Mike

There was a LOT of "baby-throwing" during that show, IIRC! Listen to the response of the crowd as the corps goes backfield during "Concierto de Aranjuez"/"It Was a Very Good Year" - around the 11:10-11:15 mark!

Amazing! :laugh:

I AM A 72 YEAR OLD ORIGINAL CHARTER MEMBER OF THE SYRACUSE BRIGADIERS AND I ALSO HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO THE YEAR 74 OF THE MUCHACHOS AND OF THIS PARTICULAR YEAR IN MY OPPINION IS THE BEST CORPS OF THAT DECADE. FANTASTIC CORPS. MY QUESTION IS WHT ISN'T THERE AN ALUMNI CORPS. ? :laugh: ED DESOCIO

Not to jump to the next year, but their rifle line was very good in 75. They interpreted (sp) their music very well!