Hey, I want to hear from you!

I, too, had to decide between these two corps. When it came down to it, location and friends helped make my decision. I ended up going with the Crossmen. I know both corps are excellent when it comes to education. The people at both corps are great as well. However, I can say the Crossmen has been a wonderful place for myself the last few years, and with some of the changes taking place in the offseason, I'm looking forward to this year more than any other in the past. Good luck on your decision! As long as you march somewhere, that's what matters most.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in a similar situation as everyone else on here and was considering auditioning for a few places, one of which was Crossmen. I agree very much with NPMKtrumpet. I've loved every season with the Crossmen. It's been of the best decisions of my life. Yes it is slightly more expensive but with everything we've been through and will go through i say it is definitely worth it. Of course though it comes down several things like distance, cash, style of music, etc. It is possible to audition for both. If Coats' auditions aren't on the weekend of dec 2-4 then come to Crossmen camp and audition. Then you can also audition for Coats. Good luck and maybe we'll see you in philly.

It is possible to audition for both. If Coats' auditions aren't on the weekend of dec 2-4 then come to Crossmen camp and audition. Then you can also audition for Coats. Good luck and maybe we'll see you in philly.

Too true. 'Coats audition on the 26th-27th of November. Many people audition for 2 and make one or both.

Of course, if you made them both, then you would REALLY have to choose between the two! :rolleyes::grrr: :sshh:

I don't care which one I get into. I love them. The more I hear the more I love. I just want in, if I get in both then WOW, and I'll see who I can best comment too and best serve. I have gotten a lot a encouragement from people invovled one way or another in both corps. If you got stories, or anything really about one of these corps...send a line!

Go for the Crossmen. I have no idea what you play, what your goals are etc, but what the heck.....buy a ticket to PA.

my biased opinion is that i would go bluecoats alone, or both...

you should go to the one you think that would be harder to gain membership in FIRST (probably bluecoats because of the last couple of years... and low dues)... that way you can always make it to the other one for their next camp if you have a bad first camp

why go bluecoats?

1) much cheaper- even with the new unis and new horns and drums

2) same all-star direction and DESIGN team that has taken them from 13-12-8-7-7-6-5-?

in my opinion-and the opinion of many others- the designers play the most important role in determining how a corps will place (assuming a talented enough group of members to perform what has been designed)and what kind of compeditive success the corps will have.

3) i would say with the bluecoats your odds of not only making finals but placing in the top 6 would be much higher- but thats just my opnion... i'm sure xmen will make a great comeback, but they can only really hope to pull it up 2 or 3 spots in one season... if you are purely going for the best placing corps you think you can make... probably go bluecoats...

now thats all i can really say when comparing the two... with BOTH groups you will have an amazing summer meeting lots of new and interresting people while playing difficult and entertaining music, and it will be something you never forget... thats just comes with the territory...

both corps have a wonderful fan base and numerous alumni to support...

I remember in 2003 i was trying to decide between bluecoats and glassmen and for ME... it hinged on several factors...

1)i liked the bluecoats style of show the years leading up to 2003... i feel like i could have really enjoyed performing those shows more than the gmen shows of the same years... i just kinda had to imagine myself playing in either when i watched the shows... WATCH YOUR DVDs... really! do research... try to imagine which corps you would rather see yourself with

2) money- i was a college student.... money had to be factored in

3) i was a brass player, and the popular wisdom at the time was that gmen had better percussion, but bluecoats had better brass... and i went to go where the brass was- so that influenced me...

thats pretty much all i made my decision on really... i didnt know anyone up there and i didnt have any friends that marched blue, but by the end i was really glad i made that decision- but honestly i think marching ANYWHERE, you would be glad you made the decision to do it no matter what... so just make sure you march somewhere

Edited by nero14

I suggest going to both. I am a Crossmen alum, so obviously I'm biased, but I also believe that some corps just "fit" people better. I was lucky that in my one and only year that I could march, I found the corps that was perfect for me. You need to get a feel for the organizations first hand, not just based on what other people say. One might just "feel" right making your decision much easier.

Allison

You are considering two GREAT organizations, with a long history of being dedicated to offering a great opportunity to their members.

But, I think I disagree with many of the posts above that evaluate (1) corps placement at finals, and (2) design staff reputation. Both Bcoats and Xmen have been up and down in both of the these categories, but have remained great organizations.

The drum corps experience is also about the family you join: the men and women you eat, sleep (separate sleeping bags!), sweat and ride the bus with. 4th place or 14th place? I dont think it makes much of a difference in the end.

Certain drum corps have well-earned reputations for being good families, who treat their members well. Bluecoats and Crossmen are both in this category.

Once, I auditioned and earned a spot in a corps that went on to win DCI. However, after attending camp and after camp and having NO fun, I quit in the spring to join Crossmen. I made more friends on the first night of the first Crossmen camp weekend than I had made all winter in the champion corps. Xmen were a bag-o-crap that year, but I had the time of my life.

Have a great time auditioning! Let us know what you think.

You are considering two GREAT organizations, with a long history of being dedicated to offering a great opportunity to their members.

But, I think I disagree with many of the posts above that evaluate (1) corps placement at finals, and (2) design staff reputation. Both Bcoats and Xmen have been up and down in both of the these categories, but have remained great organizations.

The drum corps experience is also about the family you join: the men and women you eat, sleep (separate sleeping bags!), sweat and ride the bus with. 4th place or 14th place? I dont think it makes much of a difference in the end.

Certain drum corps have well-earned reputations for being good families, who treat their members well. Bluecoats and Crossmen are both in this category.

Once, I auditioned and earned a spot in a corps that went on to win DCI. However, after attending camp and after camp and having NO fun, I quit in the spring to join Crossmen. I made more friends on the first night of the first Crossmen camp weekend than I had made all winter in the champion corps. Xmen were a bag-o-crap that year, but I had the time of my life.

Have a great time auditioning! Let us know what you think.

I would really have to agree with this one. I auditioned for Bluecoats in November, but I didn't really enjoy the environment or mood that was going on (not bagging just saying I wasn't really feeling it). In January, I was up at Crossmen's camp and I LOVED it. Awesome new drum staff that were tons of fun, and the members knew how to enjoy themselves. Probably auditioning there once again this winter or going back to OC.

I don't really care about where the corps places on Finals...yes, it would be cool to march at final in the top 12, but that's not why i want to do this. I am going for Bluecoats because they are two hours from where I liveand more importantly, I have memories of being a little kid and seeing them. I have a soft spot for them in my heart. As for the crossmen, I am learn to love them as much as old Bloo. I have always respected the Crossmen. And if you knew you would understand that is a weighted statment from me.

I also believe that some corps just "fit" people better

Both of you are very close to the reason why I want to do go out for these corps. that I said I understand wanting to win, often I am one of them, but this is one time that I would rather just want to be in and have the time of my life, as just one reason to march.