Hey, I want to hear from you!

OUCH, poor girl :sshh: --Wrong Post...sorry...was meant for that guard girl that got bashed in the face with a rifle during the show.

Good luck at your auditions. I personally like Bluecoats a little more but both corps are great. :)

Edited by KevinSop85

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interresting... ouch to #1... hard to believe i could make such a totally objective and number-based analysis and get attacked so hard for it... not sure i deserved that... the previous poster said "so true, id go with the bluecoats, plus they are the safer bet"... i addressed that statment clearly saying that IF by safer bet he meant "make finals" THEN (notice the IF-THEN trend there?) _____.

The #1 was in response to the matter of bringing up "safer bet" in the first place, not an attack on what you said. You replied to someone who was obviously upset that "safer bet" was mentioned possibly referring to placements. I did not refute what you said. I simply stated that, in context, the comment "coats is a safer bet" could be considered flamebait. It was a "you may be right...however also take this into consideration" comment.

while its entirely possible that he might have meant something else, i'm not sure why you are so positive that by "safer bet" he meant something about the members, staff, or traditions... he didnt provide any context to lead to that assumption...

In point #1, I did not mention traditions, etc much less state that I believed he was talking about such when he said "safer bet".

if i said "the 5th place corps from any year is a 'safer bet' to make finals the next year when compared to the 14th place corps from that same year" i cant see any way that you could have contention with that... (and if that is the case and you think that is still "flame bait" then we should stop there because no civil agreement will be reached)... and thats all i did say...i actually very clearly paved the way and intentions of my statment with objectivity- even citing another example...

Again, #1 did not question your intentions. I stated that the comment "coats is a safer bet" could be considered flamebait (not that it necessarily was famebait) and "regardless of its intentions" (whether good, bad, or innocent) should have been said in a more tasteful manner if at all. Saying "coats is a safer bet" will (and obviously did) cause some people's egos to flare and pride to burst (especially here on DCP). If the poster had been more cautious in their word choice or content, this debacle would most likely have been prevented.

now-take the members, staff, traditions, whatever you want, out of the picture and look at the numbers, then your "safer bet" (IF BY THAT THEY MEANT SAFER BET TO MAKE FINALS) would be the 5th place group... thats all i am saying about that... there are many different interpretations one could take from the words "Safer bet" in this context... for example, you thought it meant something totally different than i thought...now say he meant something else... well-- following the rules of IF-THEN... the THEN part doenst happen if the IF part is different...

Nope, I didn't think "safer bet" meant anything different from what you did. I even agreed Coats was a "safer bet" to get into top 6.

about your friend who marched Cadets in 99 and SCV in 2000... i loved that point- it actually re-stated what i was saying very well... your friend didnt like those two years for reasons totally other than the corps themselves... it was because of his own attitude----

I quote what you said again: "you can't march a summer of corps and NOT have a great time, in my opinion". And I told you an example (one of many) where someone marched corps and didn't have fun. So I don't see how that proved your statement correct. Furthermore, you assumed it was his attitude that was the problem. I've known and even marched with some members that have a great attitude and go at it, but at the end of the season they don't want to march again because corps just wasn't fun for them.

Furthermore, you atttempted to use this to support your theory that corps provide the "same experience", setting all corps as equal and deducing what factors to consider when choosing a corps down to location, cost, busses, placement, and the like. (And while these usually have a major impact on one's decision, they are not the only existing conditions.) As well, buses, placement, administration etc are part of the experience, so if one sets all experience as equal, one wouldn't consider these factors in their decision. It would help if you please define your definition of "experience". But the main point of this paragraph is that one cannot support something as fact (corps experience is equal) with an opinion (you can't march and not have fun).

"It is of my opinion that the moon is made of cheese. Therefore, the moon is made of cheese." When in reality, we know that the moon is not made of cheese.

your friend would have hated marching anywhere if he hated marching with SCV and Cadets those two years- no previous selection could have prepared him for those things BECAUSE he would have hated whatever corps he marched for...

What is your evidence that he would have hated marching anywhere? Are you implying that if one hates marching in Corps A and Corps B, then they hate marching in all of them? I'm thinking one would have a hard time proving that.

Could have prepared him for what "things"?

i agree with you about the chemistry and those other things... the thing is... by the time you figure out the chemistry of a corps from the inside out- its march and its too late. Many of those things such as traditions and values and whatnot you wont even discover until deep into tour-- they arnt things you can pick and choose from in the fall... thats just silly!

I realize that it takes time to find out whether the chemistry is right. But it is not completely out of the question to say that someone might find they want to march a certain corps because of the corps' traditions. I know a guy or two that marched SCV because they saw Vanguard put out an intense vibe (the atmosphere of the corps, if you will). I once met a kid that said "I want to march Crossmen because I want to be Bones one day" (tradition, if you will). From your posts, I gather you marched Bluecoats? Forgive me if I'm incorrect on that, but regardless of what corps you've marched, I'm sure that there was more to it than, "Corps X earned ___ place last year, so that's the corps for me." Now, I am aware that this is the attitude of a select few, but those are usually the ringseekers who say "Corps X earned 1st place last year, so that is the corps for me." Because, honestly, who aims to be anything less than #1 (even if they know they can only achieve so high)? That is the definition of competing, right? Compete to win, whether you are able to or not. Otherwise, what do you compete for? (And please, no one get any misconceptions from that. I compete to win. I perform to have fun. There is a difference.)

and you know what... seeing bones as a crossman or seeing the crowbar as a bluecoats contra player... those things dont mean much of anything to an outsider relative to what they mean to the members... but to someone who as worked really hard all year for an ideal of a corps- those things mean a lot... to appreciate either of those things (although i think the crowbar was more of just a funny thing for us than deeply spiritual, but thats not the point) first requires hard work, dedication, and committment to that ideal... those are simply not things you can use to pick and choose a corps to go to from... that would be as silly as something saying they would rather go to Phantom than The Cavaliers because they like the way SUTA sounds more than SPLOOIE!... so in a way... to someone who has never marched one of the corps in question, comparing two traditions WOULD be very much the same when you think about it... its only when you fully invest yourself in a corps that those things take on real meaning... so... yeah... i stand by what i said.

Even from an outsiders perspective, there is such a thing called atmosphere. And just as the intensity of the Vanguard attracted those two young men, certain atmospheres attract certain people. The crowbar, bones, splooie, suta, etc contribute to that atmosphere and can, thereby have an affect on someone's decision. They see the members and want to be a part of that family. I agree that a member can't fully appreciate a tradition, etc until after a season (and sometimes many seasons) full of hard work, dedication, etc. But one doesn't have to appreciate something to be attracted to it.

If everyone is content with what I have stated, then perhaps this conversation should refocus on sharing Bluecoats and Crossmen stories with this gal.

I would love to hear anything you got to say about auditioning, the corps, the staff, your experiences, or whatever?

That is what I said to start with and I think I got it... funny enough. I think I can compare these two just a little now: Here's what I got from the formum and personal messages.

Bluecoats Crossmen

Pros Pros

Helpful Staff Helpful Staff

Liked the People I have met thus far Liked the people I have met thus far

Personal History (reason for being an euph) Family History (Mother voluteered for them years ago)

Ranked 5 & Moving Up Lower Ranking Corp, so maybe a better start

Cons Cons

Top 6 Corp--A lot talent comes in Lower Ranked Corp...with a back slide last year

The drive (8 HOURS/$) The plane flight ($$)

Unknown Unknown

Rep Rep

Corpt Goals/Personal Goal Alignment Corp Goals/Perosnal Alignment

Make it in Make it in

Don't Know what I should look at that's not here.

And as for the cost...My parents and I are working on it.

Okay, so that's my list for now. Here is my update. I had a college event this weekend so I didn't attend the YEA camp, but I'll be at the Dec 2-4 camp, but it looks like I will be coming in that night. I did all I can to get there, so I got to let it go that it's not on time. Bluecoats are this up coming weekend. I am scared. I got some things to clean up my prepared piece, but I have the time to woodshed it, too. I don't know anything about the marching at all, so that is not fun. I will have my concert baby (my euphonium), but I'll have to use a different horn too, which means me tone and xp my intonation will not be all that good, which is the strongest part of my playing. I am "ready to go" except for how scared I feel. When I get scared, I think of this: one more year sitting in the stands wondering what I could do, what would happen if I did it, and regetting that fact that for one more year I let my fears of not making it hold me back. I need what I could learn, and I want to do it...I just don't know why. It's almost apart of me, as being a music major. I will let you know how it goes. Now, I have to finish my music major homework, and try to stay CALM...oh my... If you have any advice, stories, ideas, suggestions, or just want to say hey...post it!

PS: Thank you have all that you have to say. It's nice to see people caring about other people's decisions. Thanks for all thesupport, that goes out to friends, family, JC, and those who took the time to give me their two cents. Now, it's time to go for it.

Everyone is saying go auditon for both but what if this person can't afford that? Just an observation from me.

I will be biased

March Blue. They have a great history, the best cheer in DCI, on their way up. And is always a very chill group of people. I always hear from other corps that bluecoats have a tighetr nit gropu and have more fun during the season than other corps. I had a great time.

If you dont 'make blue then try elsewhere. Other corps will still have spots for awhile.

Most importantly, march Drum Corps

Mark

Hey don't worry at all about arriving late to the Crossmen camp. We have people stroll in all night. I myself will be arriving at philly airport at 10:30 pm since I am coming all the way from Lincoln, NE. The staff is very understanding. Trust me they are cool cats.

Just a reminder to go to the Crossmen website and send in your flight info by the wed. before the camp.

Edited by beachdude

I'm curious about the guy who marched Cadets 99 and SCV 00 and hated both years of marching drum corps.

One question - if the guy hated the experience of marching in 99 so much why did he choose to march again in 00.

it sounds more like he didn't like the cadets but still liked drum corps so he chose to go somewhere else and foun d he didn't like that corps either.

I'm curious about the guy who marched Cadets 99 and SCV 00 and hated both years of marching drum corps.

One question - if the guy hated the experience of marching in 99 so much why did he choose to march again in 00.

it sounds more like he didn't like the cadets but still liked drum corps so he chose to go somewhere else and foun d he didn't like that corps either.

I dunno how you could hate 2000. Adagio would be such an amazing experience to perform. :worthy:

He said after 99, he didn't want to march again and hadn't planned on it. But a guy he knew at SCV called him up and offered him a lead soprano spot. "SCV 2000 Lead Soprano" looks good on a resume, apparently. :lol: Said he couldn't pass up the chance. After 2000 he was done.

JC, just contact me somehow, phone (7402522180), email (absines@gmail.com), or IM (corpsforever07). I marched this past year at Bluecoats after having an experience with another corps that was less than what I had hoped. Blue is an AMAZING organization and it's true honor to be a part of that family.

I have camp this weekend, but if you have ANY questions whatsoever, leave me a message and I'll be sure to get back to you ASAP with any help I may have to offer.

Whatever your choice may be, just get out there and march!!!

EDIT: Definitely misread! Looks like you have camp this weekend as well! :) I'll come up and introduce myself!

Edited by corps_forever07

Hey,

I came, I saw, and I didn't shine enough...I'm not crushed, in fact I'm okay with it. The bad news really is that even if I had done better I wouldn't have been able to move on. There are a few issues that prevent me from being able to continue on this year; that is unforunate to say the least, but hey! I got one more year, and if that falls through I will always have the shows and I can voluteer to help out a corp. By the way, Bluecoats are hoping to announce thier show soon, so keep an eye out for it. Thank you for everything.