Drum Corps Source Music

Pat Metheny live disc "The Road to You" contains great versions of "First Circle" (Crossmen '98 and others), "Beat 70" (Florida Wave and others) and the best of the bunch, "Third Wind," which this live version certainly sounds like the inspiration for Crossmen 1991, which both feature extensive percussion breaks.

Someone else mentioned a Bernstein collection. My favorite is called "The Joy of Bernstein" and features a great version of "Prelude, Fugue and Riffs" (Cadets 1991 and others), selections from "West Side Story," "On the Waterfront" (SCV '97) "Simple Gifts," "Rhapsody in Blue," "On the Town," Beethoven's Ninth finale, "The Rite of Spring," "Fanfare for the Common Man" -- sheesh, the whole disc is practically filled with music many corps have used!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philip Glass, after hearing '99 SCV. His music is simply incredible. After a little more research, I learned that Glass was actually credited with inventing minimallist music. However, Glass disassociated himself from all of his past work after he returned from "finding his musical voice" in India. :worthy:

Ummmmmmmm no. You've got it all backwards.

First of all, Philip Glass did not "invent" minimalist music. A pioneer of minimalism (along with Steve Reich and others), but inventor? Hardly the word I'd use. He actually renounced all of his prior work after coming back from India and absorbing the Indian music's "additive rhythm" which is very prevelant in Glass' music, especially earlier stuff, and from that point began writing what the world knows him for.

So yeah, no.