Drum Corps Source Music

Thought of this while on my way to work this morning (a lot of threads seem to start out that way...) and I was listening to Chick Corea's My Spanish Heart. Great stuff, and I thought certainly this was a must have for any Blue Devils fan. Right now I'm wishing I could take a listen to the '86 and '94 shows, which used selections from the album.

Another of my favorites is Michael Daugherty's Metropolis Symphony which includes Red Cape Tango - most famously used probably in Bluecoats '01 - and Bizarro. (It also has Lex, an amazing part of PCEP '99, for those familiar with that show).

So my question is, what other great albums are out there for drum corps source music? I know Mike New probably has plenty of suggestions (:P) but I want to hear about the discs that you've bought, discs that make you think "any fan of that show needs to buy this CD".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my question is, what other great albums are out there for drum corps source music? I know Mike New probably has plenty of suggestions (:P) but I want to hear about the discs that you've bought, discs that make you think "any fan of that show needs to buy this CD".

Better than buying discs is buying individual tracks from iTunes (or whatever) for $.99. I found Stone Ground Seven, Dindi, and some other similar tunes there.

I enjoy Robert W. Smith's "The Divine Comedy," which can be found in Spartans '03 (great show), and several Magic programs in the mid-90's. I hope a big div 1 corps takes a shot at it someday.

My favorite DCI source music as of late, is Pat Metheny's "Heat of the Day." (Crossmen '02) First Circle and Minuano 6/8 (I have a video on my computer from him playing that at one of his concerts) are also great.

I got a record from the music library here of Don Ellis' "Tears of Joy," but my roommate's record player isn't working at the moment so I didn't get a chance to listen. I'm going to get it back in a few days/weeks though.

Likewise with the last one, I got "The Canyon" by Phillip Glass (SCV '99) recently, but on CD though. One of the best source music - DCI arrangement translations ever.

Listened to Rachmaninov's "Symphonic Dances" yesterday (Phantom '95); by the way, Shostakovich's 4th Ballet Suite, and First Symphony = :huh:

Chick Corea's "Return to Forever" CD is great, and also features the BD standard "La Fiesta."

The Symphonic Band here played an arrangement of Spartacus a few weeks ago......AMAZING.

I'll post more when I think of them.

Metropolis Symphony = Memphis Sound '03...did you ever get a chance to hear it?

Edited by Jared_mello

I enjoy Robert W. Smith's "The Divine Comedy," which can be found in Spartans '03 (great show), and several Magic programs in the mid-90's. I hope a big div 1 corps takes a shot at it someday.

The Symphonic Band here played an arrangement of Spartacus a few weeks ago......AMAZING.

=The Devine Comedy

Blue Stars 1997

Spartacus (the brass band arr)

blue stars 1998

FYI

Don Ellis was a good mention. I've got several of his albums.

Tears of Joy, of course, has Strawberry Soup on it.

Live at Montreux has Open Wide and Niner Two

Live at Fillmore has Final Analysis, Loss, and Great Divide.

The Disney Millineum Celebration CD (Cadets 2000)

Fantasia 200 has many corps tunes in it...

For any of the corps who have played wind ensemble music in the past decade or so, anything by the University of North Texas Wind Symphony is good. The Cavies 2000 show was influenced by Cindy McTee's "Soundings", and if you like corps who have done Sparke's "Dance Movements", pick up the UNT's album "Wind Dances." That's a great album, IMO.

2 CD's that I love :

Arturo Sandoval

- Day Dance (BD '95)

- A Mis Abuelos (Madison '96)

- Guagananco (BD '95)

Piazolla

- Adios Nonino (BD '99 & PR '04)

Great music on both!

Later,

Mike