2006 Sacramento Freelancers

Hey everyone, November 19th is the Florida Marching Band Championship. I'll be there with some other alumni friends.....come see my alma mater Olympic Heights try and win their second division championship in two years. This year's show is "Vesuvius," featuring the eponymous piece by Frank Ticheli, "Lento," from Philip Sparks' "Dance Movements," and "The Inferno," from Robert W. Smith's "Divine Comedy." It'll be taking place at Tropicana Field (dome, so finals aren't rained out like they were last year) in St. Augustine. There's actually a staff this year, unlike last season. Yeah Dave Bayardelle.

I like the Freelancers D&BC, notably every show from 88 to 93, excluding most of '92. Amazing hornlines and music arrangements.

I agree. Those brass lines and arrangements were the result of Freelancers brass caption head and arranger John Zimny. A fantastic teacher and brass tech! (Check out their 83 show)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little off or on topic; I've always been a Freelancer fan.

I would love to see that corps back in action again!

Bring back those deep red jackets, with the white flap

exposed, the black cross strap with the shining buckle,

and the black pants!

I long to hear the lush chords of their closer "Bells."

Yes! Bring back the parade rest at retreat where the horns are slammed into those buckles on thier chest followed by a groan from the Blue Devils horn line. Freelancers were intense, would love to see them back.

Hey everyone, November 19th is the Florida Marching Band Championship. I'll be there with some other alumni friends.....come see my alma mater Olympic Heights try and win their second division championship in two years. This year's show is "Vesuvius," featuring the eponymous piece by Frank Ticheli, "Lento," from Philip Sparks' "Dance Movements," and "The Inferno," from Robert W. Smith's "Divine Comedy." It'll be taking place at Tropicana Field (dome, so finals aren't rained out like they were last year) in St. Augustine. There's actually a staff this year, unlike last season. Yeah Dave Bayardelle.

I like the Freelancers D&BC, notably every show from 88 to 93, excluding most of '92. Amazing hornlines and music arrangements.

Cheers mate. 92 was my age out year. I for one liked our show that year!

I long to hear the lush chords of their closer "Bells."

Bells... wow! What a great piece. ^OO^