Why "Austin Stars"?

Look North to the Plains and get ready for battle. Music Battle that is. :huh:

We will see you all (ya'll) in 2007.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shiner Bock is still brewed in Shiner, Tx. isn't it? I guess that's the closest we have to Austin outside of micro-brews.... which there are a lot of here.

Austin used to have Celis...one of the better lines of Texas brews I ever imbibed. Alas, when I came back after 3 years elsewhere, it had disappeared! Miller (the 2nd great Satan of beers...A-B being the 1st) acquired Celis in 2000 and promptly shut it down. Rat bastages!

We'll just have to get GCS to bring St. Arnolds with them to competitions! :worthy:

Actually the Celis line is still being made....somewhere up north though. Miller bought them out and shut them down but Pierre Celis has re-opened somewhere up north....Michigan maybe....?

And as far as the St Arnolds goes....I will do you one better. How about I just bring along a couple of kegs of my homebrewed stuff? I am sure we could make room on the bus somewhere for it.

"BEST WISHES FOR SUCCESS" to Brent and the "Austin Stars"!!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys out there in 2007!!!!

P.S. - Interesting history on the Texas "Lone Star"!

Actually the Celis line is still being made....somewhere up north though. Miller bought them out and shut them down but Pierre Celis has re-opened somewhere up north....Michigan maybe....?

Yep, Michigan Brewing bought all the equipment, recipes, and rights and resumed Celis production. Didn't know Pierre came back from Belgium, though. In fact, Celis White won a gold in the Belgian Wit category at some big competition recently. Good stuff...as well as their Bock (a true Bock, not a Shiner Bock..which is great in it's own way).

OK, I'm a beer geek... B)

Back on topic, the Lone Star is so pervasive here in TX it would be sacrilige to name the corps and NOT use Star in it's name! lol

You should see Brent taking pictures of any Lone Star he comes across...get's comical at times!

Back on topic, the Lone Star is so pervasive here in TX it would be sacrilige to name the corps and NOT use Star in it's name! lol

You should see Brent taking pictures of any Lone Star he comes across...get's comical at times!

You know that "star" is going to be in the name,,but its my guess it will really have very little to do with TEXAS being the lone star state. :P

OK, I'm a beer geek... B)

Beer geek indeed.... :P And where did you learn that at?

True dat on the Star pictures - heck he even had me doing it!

I always thought that the Star name would be better associated with the corps from Dallas. Given the popular football team up there, and more popular cheerleaders that dress up in stars.

The star is very popular in this state. Even the local gas station goes by the name Texas Star. Even though it's technically just another shell station.

For 11 years Texas existed as a sovereign nation, and joined the united states as such. And there are special provisions in the flag code just for texas.

http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/flagcode.html

other quick facts.

http://www.50states.com/texas.htm

For 11 years Texas existed as a sovereign nation, and joined the united states as such. And there are special provisions in the flag code just for texas.

I'll weigh in on this before one of our anti-Texas-pride friends points it out. Unfortunately, the US flag code does not provide special provisions for the Texas flag. It's treated like all other state flags.

I had believed the same about our flag for years until I stumbled across a Snopes article on it...

Snopes on the Texas flag

Since I'm new to the DCA scene, are honor guards allowed to carry the state flag? I know we used to carry one to retreat occasionally at Revolution...

If it's not against the rules, I say let the Lone Star fly! :)