The last D1 "upset"

Nobody can doubt the musical brilliance of the 1988 Blue Devils, or specifically their brass section.

Unfortunately, their drumline was not as brilliant,

That hornline, though...mmmmmmmyummy! :)

FWIW, actually the 88 BD drumline is considered one of the most cleanest and consistant lines over the course of the season in the history of DCI by many people and judges alike. I think they lost like 3 times the whole season, too bad 2 of them was finals week.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so with everyone saying that it wasn't that BD fades quite often as much as it is that other corps catch up to them or get better than them -

how about i say that BD generally doesn't finish as strong as other corps do.

i'm sorry, but when a corps is undefeated going into finals week and then places 2nd at quarters and 3rd at semis and finals (95), something had to have gone wrong. i don't think that it was anomalous judging that helped create this result.

if you want to say that it was that the other corps caught them, not BD faltering - put it that way... that still means that BD did not finish the season as strongly as the corps that they got caught by. if you're consistently improving at a rate that makes you better than x corps all summer and then x corps starts to improve faster than you are at the end of the season to the point where they beat you, i would call that fading. i guess some other people might not. sorry for using vague language.

how about i say that BD generally doesn't finish as strong as other corps do.

LOL! Whatever.

How about this:

"I'm determined to come up with some negative connotation as to why Blue Devils don't always win. They don't finish strong, they fade, they're weak, they're not allowed to simply be beat by their competittors without some rationalization that something is wrong."

I could agree to that statement.

whatever. continue to ignore the facts - that's fine with me. what do you want me to say? that BD has never been caught from behind? that they're always a threat to come from behind and win? because those would be two completely false statements when you consider their placement.

BD is my favorite corps. my. favorite. corps. but to ignore the fact that they have been caught from behind more often than other corps is just ignorant. of the 4 ties that have occurred within the top 5, BD has been involved with three of them. in all three of them they have been the corps that had the lead and was caught.

BD is my favorite corps. my. favorite. corps. but to ignore the fact that they have been caught from behind more often than other corps is just ignorant.

Of course, you can only be caught from behind that often if you're consistently at the top in the first place! :music:

of the 4 ties that have occurred within the top 5, BD has been involved with three of them. in all three of them they have been the corps that had the lead and was caught.

LOL! Okay, you win.

Oh...by the way....

two of those ties were for first place.

What a way to fade.

whatever. continue to ignore the facts - that's fine with me. what do you want me to say? that BD has never been caught from behind? that they're always a threat to come from behind and win? because those would be two completely false statements when you consider their placement.

BD is my favorite corps. my. favorite. corps. but to ignore the fact that they have been caught from behind more often than other corps is just ignorant. of the 4 ties that have occurred within the top 5, BD has been involved with three of them. in all three of them they have been the corps that had the lead and was caught.

Wow! "DCI class of 09" - so you must be 17 or 18? Rob was a marching member in the Blue Devils before you were born and you are going to teach him about BD tendencies, or better yet, call him ignorant in that regard?!? :worthy::music:

That is rich.

Wow! "DCI class of 09" - so you must be 17 or 18? Rob was a marching member in the Blue Devils before you were born and you are going to teach him about BD tendencies, or better yet, call him ignorant in that regard?!? :worthy::music:

That is rich.

Let's be fair. He may not have been there, but he did his homework and he has the data.

Let's just say that Blue Devils have a history of starting out really strong, while a lot of their principal competitors over the years have climbed a steeper slope from season's beginning 'til the end. This is actually well known and has been discussed not infrequently over the years.

Let's just say that Blue Devils have a history of starting out really strong, while a lot of their principal competitors over the years have climbed a steeper slope from season's beginning 'til the end. This is actually well known and has been discussed not infrequently over the years.

like 05.... what wa it 76.something at the first show?